Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flooring costs in new construction & upgrade negotiations

tag
Lynnow
Regular Contributor

Re: Flooring costs in new construction & upgrade negotiations

I completely understand. Ours would not be done til the end of May so we will prob just do the floors then if we decide to get them done separately. Nothing else will be going on at that time lol Our builder is offering a $7500 credit if we use their lender so that  would def help. Although my husband (who works in finance) states he is not sold on using their lender and we will def explore other options to decide what is best for us. 

He was thinking the floors would be 15k I am thinking closer to 20k. Then we would have to pay those lovely property taxes on them every year lol 

did you get rain gutters added to your home? Or will they be included? Some ppl have told me that they nvr had rain gutters and it never mattered. That is an upgrade option. We may just do that later on our own if it is necessary to have them. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rainwater management is part of the permitting process.  I'd be shocked if you were able to pass without gutters. 

Message 12 of 14
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

I feel everyone's estimates are pretty spot on. We have a pretty decent sized home finising up in 2 months, and went EVP on the entire main level which includes guest bedroom, office, large living room, large kitchen, halls, sunroom. Likely total for just the main level was around 20k. As many others mentioned, the upstairs and finished basement were not even an option on the EVP as it would've spiraled out of control. Congrats on the planning and future home!

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lynnow wrote:

Hello, 

we are trying to come up with a close estimate on what our mortgage payment would be if we went with a certain builder. So far we have $11,455 worth of upgrades. The rep gave us a list of the cost of upgrades but that list doesn't include flooring, which will be the most expensive. 

So how much did you spend on flooring in your new construction home? I don't want any carpet at all. We can do upgraded laminate or vinyl. I know the cost depends on what type of flooring you pick but I'm looking to see what other people have paid. The model had waterproof vinyl and it looked great. Home is 2550 sq ft but we would not need to do the bathrooms and laundry room. Also I'm in Southern California so I know the cost will be quadruple compared to the rest of the country lol 

Those of you who negotiated upgrades, how easy was it to do? We have a realtor. 

We just picked our finishes this past week. 2300 sqft house: $2800 on upgraded carpet & 1/2in 8lb padding (loft, all bedrooms, stairs with Hollywood wrap), and $4100 on Luxury vinyl tile throughout 1st floor, bathrooms and laundry area. So $6900 total 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.