cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For FHA, is manual underwriting applied to everyone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For FHA, is manual underwriting applied to everyone?

Hi,

For anyone with mortgage knowledge/expertise - is underwriting required even if you had automatic approval? Or is underwriting different between those who have had an approved or refer? Thanks for any responses.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: For FHA, is manual underwriting applied to everyone?

Yes, underwriting is required. It really isn't a big deal if your paperwork 'matches' the loan application in terms of income and debt. Sometimes the underwriter will have additional paperwork requirements, but if you are working with a good LO and good processor, it really should be seemless.

BTW, the file really only stays in underwriting a short time, 3 days is typical, but some lenders are backed up and u/w takes a little longer.  On some of the horror stories where people say its been in u/w for X weeks - it is unlikely. It usually is in processing the longest until the file is prepared with everything the u/w needs to see.

Message 2 of 10
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Underwriting is always required... however if you have an automated approval, it is not considered "manual underwriting" (you do not have to meet manual underwriting criteria) and your file will not be reviewed as stringently.

Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 4 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Automated and Manual underwriting

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

For anyone with mortgage knowledge/expertise - is underwriting required even if you had automatic approval? Or is underwriting different between those who have had an approved or refer? Thanks for any responses.

1.  file approved thru automated underwriting.... human underwrite verifies all data and accepts DTI as per automated

2.  file approved thru automated underwriting.... but is downgraded to a manual underwrite per some guidelines.... like disputed accounts can get a file downgraded... human underwrite verifies all data and accepts DTI as per published guidelines

3.  file does not receive an approve/accept.... is manually underwritten to published guidelines

all files('automated approved' and 'manual underwrites') are seen by a human.... a human underwriter verifies things used to get the automated approval

There seems to be a confusion between human underwriting piece and what a manual underwrite is.

Most common downfalls to a manually underwritten file: 

1. stricter dti

2. rent payments varified

3. collections can be asked to be paid(automated issues guidance that says collections have been addressed by automated approval and do not need to be paid)

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

DLG's post ought to be a stickie...

Message 6 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I agree; DLG if you wish to repost this in a thread I'll be happy to do that, or I can break out later, change the title, and sticky that.  

        
Message 7 of 10
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

DLG....thank you!!! I have been trying to find out what happens since I was DU approve/eligible through Fannie Mae.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the replies!

Message 9 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I agree; DLG if you wish to repost this in a thread I'll be happy to do that, or I can break out later, change the title, and sticky that.  

It is a sticky now....... i expanded the copy a little.

fire away with questions

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.