Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreclosure on rental - Help!

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Foreclosure on rental - Help!

Used to be have an office in a building that was being sold. They had to buy me out of the lease remainder, pay moving costs, and other expenses.  Spoke with an atty, he advised me to be current on the rent. 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of still reeling from this. I'd like to stop paying my rent so that I can have money for moving expenses, but am really concerned that the landlord will file eviction proceedings and after all my hard work, my credit will once again be ruined. I think I'm going to call some attorneys on Tuesday and see what I can do.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 12 of 19
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Be sure to bring a copy of the lease to whatever Atty is used.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 13 of 19
IOBA
Senior Contributor

bichonmom - and take along a copy of all of the papers you have received regarding the foreclosure.  I sooo hope you kept a copy of the papers that came to the house.

As for the eviction - I gotta believe that you can contest it or counter sue.   A judge is going to be seriously upset that the landlord is collecting rent and NOT paying the mortgage!   And you do have a right to have moving expenses paid for or some other compensation if you are locked into a lease and basically, your landlord is breaking it.

Let us know what the lawyer says.

What state are you in?

Message 14 of 19
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

Call your County Offices and seek information regarding this type of situation. They should have some type of housing counseling / tenant landlord issues line. The operator should be able to point your call in the right direction.

In my wallet:
Discover More / Chase Amazon / Chase Freedom /Chase Business Ink / Chase Slate / Capital One Cash Rewards / Walmart Discover / Kohls / JCPenny / Home Depot / Art Van

Experian Direct PLUS scores: Experian 744/ Equifax 763/ TU 744
Message 15 of 19
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

That would all depend on what state your in.  For example, from my experience foreclosures in NY, OH, FL, and NJ typically takes much longer than the average foreclosure as their counties tend to be backed up for YEARS.  Most often times, homes are in foreclosure for 2-5 years before any real action is taken.

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 16 of 19
frogfan12
Established Contributor

What a jerk! Who does that? Like seriously?

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 17 of 19
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

What a jerk! Who does that? Like seriously?

I agree, but you'd be surprised at how many scum bags prey and take advantage of families knowing their vulerable and need a place to stay.  Before you rent from a person or company it is imparative that you ask for a payment history to make them prove to you that all payments prior to you moving in has been paid timely.  How could they expect payment on time when they are making mortgage payments on timeSmiley Sad?

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 18 of 19
IOBA
Senior Contributor

frogfan12 - there are a few people out there like that...rent it out, collect the money, and not worry about the foreclosure.

MissMia75 - there are a few people out there that rent with the same intention - to screw the landlord out of a lot of money and legal fees.

Smiley Sad   I think it's sad that people set out to screw other people.

MissMia75 - what would you recommend for people who own thier properties outright?  They would not be able to show that the house has a mortgage.   And I for one wouldn't want the renter to know there is no mortgage for me to pay each month.   Mental attitudes easily change when you hear someone doesn't have a mortgage.  The perceptions of  "oh you lucky duck!"   and "dang, you must be rich!" and "well, you obviously don't need the money for a mortgage payment."    All of these can be wrong perpections, but they do exist.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.