Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freddie Mac or bust?

tag
asgor
Valued Member

Freddie Mac or bust?

I want to purchase a home this summer in San Antonio, TX. I am nervous because of the student loan change of the 1% rule.  My middle score is 702 and I make 5100 a month ( I have signed my contract already for the next school year taking my salary to 5800 a month).  I have 100, 000 in student loan debt but the loans are consolidated and I pay 180 a month.  I have 3 credit cards which totals to 75.00 a month payment but I only have a 142.00 balance out the 6900 available credit. and a furniture payment of 140.00. I have no car payments . I have had no late payments in 3 years. I suggest Freddie  Mac because upon my  research they haven't switched over to the 1% rule for student loans..  I guess I am asking am I in good shape to apply for a home loan with Freddie Mac? I don't want an  extravagent home around 130,000. I  am currently paying 1250 for a very mediocre apartment in a pretty high crime neighborhood. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Freddie Mac or bust?

is $180 listed on the credit report?

yeah, freddie is still the place i can go with them. and that score is fine.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

we would need a letter from them showing the payment as well

this is usually pretty easy and matches what is reported

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy - for the student loan payments, which ones are acceptable for conventional - standard, extended, extended fixed, graduated, IBR, PAYE, or REPAYE?

I see a lot of comments about making sure you are on a plan that amortizes the loan and making sure that the payment amount is reported on the credit reports but I havent seen anything that indicates which repayment plans are the ones to use to make sure you dont end up having to do the 1%. I know it isnt cut and dry but just seeking some clarity.

Thanks for all you do for us on these boards.

HFM

Message 4 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy - for the student loan payments, which ones are acceptable
for conventional - standard, extended, extended fixed, graduated, IBR, PAYE, or REPAYE?  <= i dont think it matters. just has to have a reported pmt... or pmt letter 

I see a lot of comments about making sure you are on a plan that amortizes<= fannie mae guideline. freddie mac has has the favorable guidelines we are discussing. BOTH are conventional. same rates the loan and making sure that the payment amount is reported on the credit reports but I havent seen anything that indicates which repayment plans are the ones to use to make sure you dont end up having to do the 1%. I know it isnt cut and dry but just seeking some clarity.

Thanks for all you do for us on these boards.

HFM

make sense?

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

WHAT!!!! so what is the difference between freddie and fannie then because if that is the case I could get a lower SL payment and open up my DTI some more.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy I have been researching the Freddie Mac guidelines and saw this >> "borrower's annual income must be equal to or less than the area median income" is this true for all Freddie Mac loans?

HFM

Message 7 of 10
asgor
Valued Member

Yes it is listed as teh updated payment

Message 8 of 10
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy I have been researching the Freddie Mac guidelines and saw this >> "borrower's annual income must be equal to or less than the area median income" is this true for all Freddie Mac loans?

HFM

Hi HFM,

The income limit only applies to the Freddie Mac Home Possible program.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 9 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

WHAT!!!! so what is the difference between freddie and fannie then because if that is the case I could get a lower SL payment and open up my DTI some more.

Not a whole lot other than some minor differences in guidelines, including how student loans are treated.  As the years have gone by, Fannie and Freddie guidelines have become more similar to one another (for example Fannie Mae didn't use to allow a non-occupant co-borrower's income to help qualify, whereas Freddie did, but now Fannie Mae allows it too... and Freddie Mac used to require a 2-year landlord history to use rental income, Fannie Mae didn't, and now Freddie Mac doesn't either).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.