cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full downpayment needed for pre-approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Full downpayment needed for pre-approval?

I'm looking at purchasing a home/investment property in 4-6 months. I'm targeting something in the 200k range, with ~10k down payment

My FICO-04 is currently in the 605 range though I expect to be 640+ across the board within a couple weeks (util is going way down) and ~670 (if you believe the myFico simulator) in about 3-4 months (when I'll actually go in for a pre-approval). Due to credit issues (paid collection account + satisfied judgment - though currently not reporting that status - should be taken care of within a month, lates on several  accounts from late 2013 when I had had a huge family issue that burned through all my available cash), and amount I'd have available for a down payment (I'd have 14-15k saved, 10k available from IRA - though I don't plan on having to touch this), I'm pretty sure I'll be going the FHA route.

My question is about pre-approval. I've been doing a lot of reading to understand the process, important steps to take between now and when I'll apply credit and savings-wise, but I seem to find conflicting information on this question:

Do I need to have the full amount I expect to use as a downpayment available at the time that I go in for a pre-approval?

Assuming I go for the pre-approval mid May, I'd have 9k available in savings. I'd be up to about 14.5k a month later but I'd like to be able to start the process a bit sooner so I limit the amount of downtime between the end of my lease (out end of April) and when I move in to a new home. I have a place to stay rent free for about 3-4 months (which I've factored into my expected savings) but  beyond that, I'd need to get back to renting month-to-month.

I optionally could have ~11k by my target pre-approval date, but that would mean delaying paying down credit leaving me at the ~640 scores. My reading and research surmise that in my case (since I'm anticipating FHA anyway), I'm better off going for the better score than slightly higher down payment.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Full downpayment needed for pre-approval?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking at purchasing a home/investment property in 4-6 months. I'm targeting something in the 200k range, with ~10k down payment

My FICO-04 is currently in the 605 range though I expect to be 640+ across the board within a couple weeks (util is going way down) and ~670 (if you believe the myFico simulator) in about 3-4 months (when I'll actually go in for a pre-approval). Due to credit issues (paid collection account + satisfied judgment - though currently not reporting that status - should be taken care of within a month, lates on several  accounts from late 2013 when I had had a huge family issue that burned through all my available cash), and amount I'd have available for a down payment (I'd have 14-15k saved, 10k available from IRA - though I don't plan on having to touch this), I'm pretty sure I'll be going the FHA route.

My question is about pre-approval. I've been doing a lot of reading to understand the process, important steps to take between now and when I'll apply credit and savings-wise, but I seem to find conflicting information on this question:

Do I need to have the full amount I expect to use as a downpayment available at the time that I go in for a pre-approval?

Assuming I go for the pre-approval mid May, I'd have 9k available in savings. I'd be up to about 14.5k a month later but I'd like to be able to start the process a bit sooner so I limit the amount of downtime between the end of my lease (out end of April) and when I move in to a new home. I have a place to stay rent free for about 3-4 months (which I've factored into my expected savings) but  beyond that, I'd need to get back to renting month-to-month.

I optionally could have ~11k by my target pre-approval date, but that would mean delaying paying down credit leaving me at the ~640 scores. My reading and research surmise that in my case (since I'm anticipating FHA anyway), I'm better off going for the better score than slightly higher down payment.

Welcome to MyFICO! Smiley Happy

I highlighted the sentence above because you mention home and investment property in the same sentence. FHA will finance a primary residence only with a down payment as low as 3.5%.  In addition to down payment requirements, you have closing costs and pre-paid expenses. You may be able to get the seller to pay some or all of your closing costs and pre-paid expenses, but you need to put that in your offer. Expect an additional 4% more or less for closing and pre-paids depending upon the real estate taxes and insurance costs in your area.  If the seller won't contribute toward your closing costs, because some markets are seller's markets, then the lender can bump up the interest rate and pay a portion of your costs.

You can not get an FHA loan for an investment property. You can turn a primary residence into an investment property after you have lived there in the property for X months (don't know the minimum length of time, I "assume"  it would be somewhere in the 12+ month range).

Now, to your question:  3.5% of $200,000 is $7k and expect another $8k mol in closing and expenses if you don't get any help with your costs. I suggest you work with an agent that is accustomed to getting the buyer's costs paid in the purchase agreement. Seems to me that you will have the $7k by the time you apply. Allow yourself time to find the right property.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Due to FHA requirements, it would need to be my "primary" residence for at least the 1st year.

I said investment because that's what it will become as soon as I'm no longer bound by that requirement. My gf and I plan to rent our houses (her current, my future) and buy one together within a few years.

Message 3 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. Due to FHA requirements, it would need to be my "primary" residence for at least the 1st year.

I said investment because that's what it will become as soon as I'm no longer bound by that requirement. My gf and I plan to rent our houses (her current, my future) and buy one together within a few years.

Good plan. Make sure you don't buy the most expensive one on the market then, buy something that is 'rentable' and hopefully you won't have negative cash flow. With FHA it is something you really have to work the numbers to make sure you won't be in the hole every month when you turn it into an investment property.

Message 4 of 14
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Yes, to get a true pre-approval from a lender, you must show that you actually have the money available already. They will not pre-approve you for a particular loan with a particular amount down if you cannot show that you already have it, and that your finances are stable enough to meet the payment that will be due.

As for StartingOver's comments, they're right. You cannot get a FHA loan unless it's for your primary residence, and I believe most other loan programs will require more than 5% down. But it's possible. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:
Good plan. Make sure you don't buy the most expensive one on the market then, buy something that is 'rentable' and hopefully you won't have negative cash flow. With FHA it is something you really have to work the numbers to make sure you won't be in the hole every month when you turn it into an investment property.

Thanks. 200k is actually the top of what I'd be comfortable getting into (for a short term-home turned investment property). If I waited 6 more months, I'd probably qualify for a lot more, but my gf and I won't be at a point of getting a place together for a few more years and I would personally feel more comfortable having my own house in my pocket as a cushion.

So, rentability, location, etc are high on my list of priorities. I've been looking around (mainly Zillow, Trulia, Airbnb, and CL) to get an idea for what 200k buys in my area, different neighborhoods, and what the short and long term rental market looks like for various neighborhoods. Being a picky renter myself, I had some idea but now my knowledge of the area has grown a lot. Though I definitely need to start crunching numbers to account for maintenance, taxes, etc to have a better feel for how much I should limit myself on the front-end purchase (or how meticulous I should be with choices within my target range).

I think my biggest struggle in the next few months will be how to keep myself from obsessing over every little detail until I'm actually through the pre-approval process. I've switched from reading blogs for a couple hours each night before bed to reading myFico and mortage related articles.

Message 6 of 14
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...you can tell the lender that you will be using "gift" funds to meet part of your closing costs ...as long as you have the dp currently in a bank account and your other factors "work" you'll get a pre-qual from most lenders w/o having to prove the source of the "gift" ...in fact, in my experience, lender worksheets will treat a seller closing cost contribution as a "gift" in their GFEs.

...the short of it is as long as you can show the dp, you can get a pre-qual ...just be sure you have the actual closing costs seasoned at least a week before the closing.

...and don't forget that the USDA has a very viable rural housing loan program (for low to moderate incomes) with 3% rates as of March 1st, no dp, and you can include closing costs in the loan IF the appraisal is higher than your offer ...you might be surprised by just how much of suburbia is considered "rural" for USDA purposes ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lemmus wrote:

...you can tell the lender that you will be using "gift" funds to meet part of your closing costs ...as long as you have the dp currently in a bank account and your other factors "work" you'll get a pre-qual from most lenders w/o having to prove the source of the "gift" ...in fact, in my experience, lender worksheets will treat a seller closing cost contribution as a "gift" in their GFEs.

...the short of it is as long as you can show the dp, you can get a pre-qual ...just be sure you have the actual closing costs seasoned at least a week before the closing.

...and don't forget that the USDA has a very viable rural housing loan program (for low to moderate incomes) with 3% rates as of March 1st, no dp, and you can include closing costs in the loan IF the appraisal is higher than your offer ...you might be surprised by just how much of suburbia is considered "rural" for USDA purposes ...hth

Cool. I think what was not clear in my original post is that in addition to the 9k of savings mid May, I'd have another 10k I could draw down from my IRA. From more reading, I should be able to point to these as the source for closing and other funds at the time of pre-approval. Hmm, and now that I've typed that, I realize that it means I could probably start a month earlier assuming my mid score has hit the target.

Message 8 of 14
joshall
Contributor

From what Shane (Shanethemortgageguy) told me, you do not have to show you have ALL the closing cost when you are being preapproved.  As long as you can show that you are on your way to fulfill the full closing cost when it is closed, you are fine.

Can anyone please clarify this?  I may have understood it incorrectly.

Message 9 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@joshall wrote:

From what Shane (Shanethemortgageguy) told me, you do not have to show you have ALL the closing cost when you are being preapproved.  As long as you can show that you are on your way to fulfill the full closing cost when it is closed, you are fine.

Can anyone please clarify this?  I may have understood it incorrectly.

Yes you understand correctly.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.