Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Mortgage Applicant Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Future Mortgage Applicant Questions

Hello FicoFam,

I am planning to look for a home within the year. I believe that home prices will become more affordable. My question is how long do I need to go without an inquiry to make sure that I am in a decent position? I just performed 3 HP March 24th and all were approved. I plan to garden from here on out and spend then pay off. In my signature I have my current scores. In the last 24 months I have 8 HPs. No new account rejections, one CLI denial. AAOA was 5yrs8mo before the new applications. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Future Mortgage Applicant Questions

You want to not touch your credit for ANYTHING minimum 3 months before (during) until you have the keys in your hand DONE Lol.    You also want all your current cards/accounts to be under 30% to help as well if you have balances at the time of applying  

Message 2 of 15
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

You also want to be familiar with your Mortgage Score not just your regular FICO score so if you want to purchase that on a membership here closer to the time of your app then I recommend it for sure if you don't already have access.     That will help you to make sure you are on the right track or even if you got it now and then changed your subscription to lower until closer etc.      When I got my Mortgage the middle score on my Mortgage Scores here was exactly what my person pulled I didn't tell him my score until he pulled it just gave him a vague range and he told me the exact number when it showed up so I was very happy it matched perfect and it made me feel a lot more confident in the deal.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

You also want to be familiar with your Mortgage Score not just your regular FICO score so if you want to purchase that on a membership here closer to the time of your app then I recommend it for sure if you don't already have access.     That will help you to make sure you are on the right track or even if you got it now and then changed your subscription to lower until closer etc.      When I got my Mortgage the middle score on my Mortgage Scores here was exactly what my person pulled I didn't tell him my score until he pulled it just gave him a vague range and he told me the exact number when it showed up so I was very happy it matched perfect and it made me feel a lot more confident in the deal.  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the info, good to know that 3 months is a good window to keep my credit quiet! And alos I believe I have the FICO Mortgage numnber. I am subscribed to the Experian app and they give several different FICO scores. Currently my FICO Score 2 (says that this score is used primarily in mortgage lending) is at 731. Ehh I would prefer it be higher so that a conventional loan is not a stretch for me.

Message 4 of 15
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

You want to make sure you can see all 3 Mortgage Scores since likely they will go with the middle one.       Of course the longer over the 3 months you are the better but again do NOT touch it until you have the keys in your hand some people once they get the acceptance and get things rolling with the home even all the way down to underwritting and other stops they buy a couple of things for the home on Credit or open new cards etc and end up losing the deal at the last moment.      Anything over 650 is a great place to be in if your middle is over 700 even better I want to say my middle was 711 or something I don't exactly remember now lol but I was able to get a super deal back then so now I am sure this year will even be better since all this extra stuff is going on currently.

Message 5 of 15
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

If your middle ends up being 750 or over of course that is basically gold to any financing company lol for anything lol.   750 and up is the same as 800 for most places.

Message 6 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Free mortgage scores

EX2 + 3 Bureau report for $1 at Experian or CreditCheckTotal (part of Experian). Cancel in 7 days or less to avoid the reoccurring charge.
TU4 WyHy quarterly score. Not sure on membership requirement. Maybe hard pull TU?
EQ5 Get a savings account with DCU. Soft pull EQ to be a member. Free monthly score.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

Free mortgage scores

EX2 + 3 Bureau report for $1 at Experian or CreditCheckTotal (part of Experian). Cancel in 7 days or less to avoid the reoccurring charge.
TU4 WyHy quarterly score. Not sure on membership requirement. Maybe hard pull TU?
EQ5 Get a savings account with DCU. Soft pull EQ to be a member. Free monthly score.

Hmm contemplating a DCU account, I have been needing a new credit union that has more services than my current CU. They're isn't any branches in my area but frankly I can get what I need done with them online. 

Message 8 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

Free mortgage scores

Hmm contemplating a DCU account, I have been needing a new credit union that has more services than my current CU. They're isn't any branches in my area but frankly I can get what I need done with them online. 

Yes, you can be a DCU member online. It's quite easy.

You can also obtain your 3 scores here on myFICO.com for an additional cost.

What is the reason for your score variance in your signature? EQ is high but TU is low.

If borderline on MMS Middle Mortgage Score and you need points, depending on score card, without new accounts or inquiries:

When AoYR Age of Youngest Revolver reaches 6 months you may see score increase. At 12 months, it will be 10-15 points.

In addition, once inquiries reach 365 days from date of inquiry, you'll recoup any points you originally lost.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

Free mortgage scores

Yes, you can be a DCU member online. It's quite easy.

You can also obtain your 3 scores here on myFICO.com for an additional cost.

What is the reason for your score variance in your signature? EQ is high but TU is low.

If borderline on MMS Middle Mortgage Score and you need points, depending on score card, without new accounts or inquiries:

When AoYR Age of Youngest Revolver reaches 6 months you may see score increase. At 12 months, it will be 10-15 points.

In addition, once inquiries reach 365 days from date of inquiry, you'll recoup any points you originally lost.

Great question, well I have unimproved land on a mortgage loan but it is reporting on everything except EQ. It's kind of annoying but it makes my EQ look great lol

I plan to keep my inquiries at the current amount and just garden from here.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.