Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GO WITH NEW HOME BUILDER?

tag
lillygooch4
Established Member

GO WITH NEW HOME BUILDER?

Hello,

Has anyone found it easier to get a mortgage threw a new home builder vs a outside lender? My husband and I have been working on our credit for over a year and have come from the high 400's to the mid 600's and we are using a VA loan. My husband finally got his mid score to the 620's in July but we were denied  in UW due to a 30 day late that wasn't  12 months til this past Sept. We tried again in Oct with a lender and we had mid scores of 646 and mines 660. But they wanted to remove all the dispute comments off before putting it threw UW well it took way longer then expected and once every dispute was finally cleared the lender has gotten impatient and I ended up getting better results with the help of the forum getting it removed my self. So they stopped returning emails and messages. I was driving one day and ended up finding a new construction site. We spoke to them and they had a home that originaly had been started by someone but they could not get the home due to finances. (great for us) long story short they ran our scores and we are using the in house lender to get that closing cost covered and our scores took a slight drop due to so many pulls.
They said that they can get us in by first of Dec!!!!!! My question is with my husband at 638 and I now at 650 mid we have all disputes removed all items pais no new collections that 30day late was 12months in Sept, will we have problems getting our home? Some had told me the in house mortgages can get you in a home! Please share.............

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: GO WITH NEW HOME BUILDER?

It's best to go with a local lender and keep in mind the will look at the lowest middle score
Message 2 of 9
chasmith
Valued Contributor

The in-house lender has incentive to work harder to get you closed.  Just be careful to compare costs, you should have GFEs from your earlier apps so you just need to keep them honest on rate and fees.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
7ate9
Valued Member

@chasmith wrote:

The in-house lender has incentive to work harder to get you closed.  Just be careful to compare costs, you should have GFEs from your earlier apps so you just need to keep them honest on rate and fees.

+1  on both points.  They do seem to work harder to get you approved and closed, but they also seem to pass more fees down to the borrower than local lenders.  But I guess that's a moot point if they're paying your closing costs. Smiley Happy

Best of luck to you!

TU08 740(1/20/16)

Last app: 06/19/2015
Message 4 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with other posts. You should still ask for closing costs or incentives for working with their lender. Do all of the contracts through your own realtor; don't expect them to be looking out for your interests. Ask for things like free upgrades Smiley Happy
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 9
scmami
Regular Contributor

+1 to all of the above. In house lender has been the most lenient of all the local lenders we tried. And we are buying a similar "mostly built" home. We got free upgrades and $5k closing costs. We used a realtor for our protection,but found the place ourselves.

Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 6 of 9
lillygooch4
Established Member

Thanks for all the well wishes! Yes they are going to cover all the closing costs and we were able to negotiate the lot premium off (7,500). Since we came at the end of year they are also eager to get these houses sold before the end of year so we put a offer in for 12,000 less then asking price. They are trying to get us closed by Nov 29!!!! So nervous I pray this all goes threw.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck! We're under contract with DR Horton for a new home. All we're out of pocket is the $250 earnest money (normally $500, but hubby is a peace officer, so they discounted it).

This crap is stressful, isn't it?!?

Message 8 of 9
lillygooch4
Established Member

Wow our contract is also with DR Horton. Best wishes to you! Please let me know how yours went.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.