Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Advise

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General Advise

Good evening, everyone.

Well, my wife and I just finished (2-3 months ago) paying off our cards and getting our FICO scores up - I'm ~678 and she's ~739.  We are planning a move from Los Angeles to Phoenix soon, as our oldest starts school next year, and we want to be near family again, as well.

Here's the rub...  Now that we've got our debt down (only one car left and her student loans), we were planning on saving for the next 18 months until we move, so that we could have a sizable down.  Of course, with the bad timing we always have, we found the perfect house in Chandler (Phoenix suburb).  The house is a steal - 2 years old, has dropped from $740k when built to $420k (foreclosure), so we're thinking that we should maybe grab it now while we can.

We currently make $202k a year together.  We have a total of $24k of credit line ($8k for me, $16k for her, two cards each), with zero balances because we pay them off every month, but three of the four are relatively new.  Again, we weren't planning on buying for 18 months, so we added some cards to rebuild our credit. 

Additionally, my wife is a faculty member at a local university, so we currently live rent free (faculty apartment).

So with all that said (sorry for the long build-up), would it be possible for us to buy a home out of state, with the credit scores that we have, the new cards that we have, and with our current income, would we be able to get a loan with very little down (since we won't have 18 months to save)?  Also, would we be able to get a loan if we weren't planning on moving right this moment?  Since we live rent free, there isn't a driver for us to move as quickly, but we want to secure the house.  It sounds backwards, but we want to get the house first, then find jobs out there, then move.  Both of our professions are hot commodities, so finding jobs won't be a problem, but we're fearful that this house will be gone by the time we line up our ducks. 

Sorry for the long message; thanks for any advise you can give.  Smiley Happy

Ryan 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: General Advise

It will be an investment property and you will need 20% down.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Dallas.

My (very limited) understanding was that it would be considered an investment loan if we intended to rent it out.  From what I gathered, since it would be our first property, and we would intend to live in it (relatively) soon, it could be considered our primary residence.  If anything, it could be considered a secondary home.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.

Ryan

Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

How soon will you take possession?

6 months?

1yr?

There is a time limit. FHA is 60days. I would have to look it up for conventional

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

intention is not the standard.

besides... you dont have jobs in the new city.... no way will this fly as an owner occupied mortgage loan.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Agree with Dallas, you need new jobs in the new location in order for it to be considered a primary residence.  You could buy it as a second home, but those still are requiring 20% down in PHX (MI companies aren't doing 2nd homes in severely declining markets such as CA, AZ, NV & FL).

How long have you been looking at homes though?  Forever, and this is the first home you have really liked?  Or not very long?  Coming from California and looking at Arizona prices everything would be looking good to me too.  Values in Arizona are not going to go up anytime soon.  So you have to put that in perspective.  

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.