Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Ready.to Apply for a Mortgage

tag
jf71
Established Member

Getting Ready.to Apply for a Mortgage

I will start the loan process next month, and just need some advice on how to go about it.

I met with a LO of a company here in Houston, and she explained the different types of loans out there. I am married, working on a W2, my husband is on a 1099. So the LO took all of our information, and entered it into her system. The outcome was  for me to get the loan on my own. Due to the fact, my husband writes off so much in his business. So she told me to go conventional, also this would be my first time ever buying a home. I made $73k last year, and my mortgage score was 627, and she told me to bring it up to 640, by paying down our credit cards.

So, I’m doing all that tomorrow.

My question is, when I pay them all off, do I need to keep a small balance on all of them?  I’m unclear about that.

We plan on getting with her again on the 5th of next month for her to do the rescore , and also, apply with NFCU, and see what they have to say.

Our time line is, our lease is up Nov 30. However, we have to give the owners 60 notice, so we’re looking at the 1st of Oct. I just want to be clear to close, when I notify them. We’re looking to purchase something between $200-230k. I hate that we can’t use his income, because we could have more buying power. DH makes $140k. However, I do understand the write-offs for his business, but I would like to afford a larger home.

If anyone could advise me on what to do about the cards, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Getting Ready.to Apply for a Mortgage

@jf71 wrote:

I will start the loan process next month, and just need some advice on how to go about it.

I met with a LO of a company here in Houston, and she explained the different types of loans out there. I am married, working on a W2, my husband is on a 1099. So the LO took all of our information, and entered it into her system. The outcome was  for me to get the loan on my own. Due to the fact, my husband writes off so much in his business. So she told me to go conventional, also this would be my first time ever buying a home. I made $73k last year, and my mortgage score was 627, and she told me to bring it up to 640, by paying down our credit cards.

So, I’m doing all that tomorrow.

My question is, when I pay them all off, do I need to keep a small balance on all of them?  I’m unclear about that.

We plan on getting with her again on the 5th of next month for her to do the rescore , and also, apply with NFCU, and see what they have to say.

Our time line is, our lease is up Nov 30. However, we have to give the owners 60 notice, so we’re looking at the 1st of Oct. I just want to be clear to close, when I notify them. We’re looking to purchase something between $200-230k. I hate that we can’t use his income, because we could have more buying power. DH makes $140k. However, I do understand the write-offs for his business, but I would like to afford a larger home.

If anyone could advise me on what to do about the cards, I’d greatly appreciate it.

First, congrats on working toward purchasing a home.

And kudos for being able to pay off credit cards. Your LO is correct. This will give you a bump in scores. So, you pay all CC balances to $0 except one CC, and then leave 1-2% balance on that one or $20, if you want. If you were to pay all cards to 0, you would lose points on your scores.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 3
jf71
Established Member

Re: Getting Ready.to Apply for a Mortgage

Thank you so much! 

Now I understand

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.