cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting approved for mortgage...First time home buyers

tag
hihihi

Getting approved for mortgage...First time home buyers

My husband and I are looking to purchase our first house in the next several months, do you think we would qualify?

Household income - $105,000 per year; $55,000 for me and $50,000 for husband

utilization - 10% - This will show lower next month, as I have paid it down a little and the January statement has not cut yet

We have 20% to put down and will have about $10,000 in reserves after we pay closing costs

My husband filed BK7 for himself only and it was discharged in May 2010.  So it has been 1 year and 7 months.  He filed because he lost his job and was unemployed for about a year.  We were not able to pay some debt that was in his name only that he obtained before we were married.  I was only making $26,000 at the time.

Here are our Fico scores from My Fico: me TU 653 & EQ 644, husband TU 677 & EQ 684

Clean credit history for the last 1 year 7 month for both of us.

Our debt is $523 per month for two car loans.  I only use my credit cards to keep them active so they do not get closed and to keep a small utilization on one of them with the rest at $0; at any given time, the most we owe per the statement is $100.

We would like to do a conventional loan since I have been told that with FHA, even with 20% down, PMI insurance is still required.  We are looking at houses around $230,000 and know that we can afford this amount.  We keep our monthly expenses low by not having cable, keeping eating out at a minimum, only having one cell phone at $37 per month, etc.

What do you all think?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Questions about getting approved for mortgage...First time home buyers

Everything looks good except the BK.   You need 2 years since the BK discharge to qualify.   Nothing wrong with house hunting (can take a while), just don't make application until the 2 year mark.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting approved for mortgage...First time home buyers

You are in great shape..you will get a loan with no problems...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.