Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting closer to becoming a homeowner

tag
ProudMomof5
Contributor

Getting closer to becoming a homeowner

I am so excited today.  I did alot of research and decided to have my credit pulled so that I would know what I needed to do and basically see my scores.  The broker sent me a copy of my credit report and I was so surprised that two of my scores are in the 600's.  My transunion score however is only 580 and I don't understand why.  But I'm on my way and I'm so proud of myself because I've been really working to get my credit together so that I can become a homeowner.

While I am still working on getting my scores up a bit more, can someone tell me what I need to saving up for.  What all fees will I need to have money for when it's time to actually get my house.  I'm not looking to purchase until maybe around March of next year.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
indecison
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting closer to becoming a homeowner

Do you have thoughts on which loan product you will be looking at? USDA, FHA, Conventional etc.? This helps know what type of fees and down payements you would need to save up for.

Message 2 of 10
ProudMomof5
Contributor

I'll be going FHA.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what closing costs average, but I think the downpament is 3.5% of th purchase price.

Message 4 of 10
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yeah 3.5 for down, its possible to have no closing costs out of pocket with negative points.

Message 5 of 10
ProudMomof5
Contributor

So I'll be looking at 3.5% down, closing costs, and home inspection.  Am I missing any other out of pocket expenses that I'll have to pay?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't forget about Earnest Money when you go under contract.  Home inspection includes multiple tests that you'll have to pay for.  Then there's the pre-paids too Taxes, Homeowners, etc.

Good luck, we're in the final stages and it's a long process but so worth it.

Message 7 of 10
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

Don't forget the appraisal. I had to pay it up front, $425.
Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
justjunie928
New Contributor

Here is a web site from Grand Homes that you can play with the numbers and it will give you a good idea of what you need to bring.  Of course most of the numbers will be hypothetical (like taxes and insurance) but it will help you out.

http://www.grandhomes.com/gh_financing04d.php

Message 9 of 10
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

keep working on it! My scores were all below 580 when i started.  But now my highest when i started my housing process was 670.  Just takes patience and hard work.

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.