Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift letter for downpymnt Question

tag
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Gift letter for downpymnt Question

My question is , if the majority of your money appears to come from gifting, will the u/ws look at you poorely?  I was initally told i would qualify for something that is 3% down and I had that, but then was told that It would be 5% down which will come from my parents.  Do they look at you as irresponsible because the majority of your dwnpymnt is a gift?

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gift letter for downpymnt Question

I don't see why they would view you as irresponsible? As long as the proper procedures are followed it should be viewed as your contribution by UW.

Message 2 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It's a little better if your down payment is coming from your own funds, but as long as the loan program permits it then gift funds are fine too.  If you have borderline credit, or trying to stretch what you can qualify for, it could present an issue. For example I was trying to get someone with a 620 score approved through automated underwriting with a 50% debt ratio, and it wouldn't approve if I marked the down payment was coming from gift funds... but if I marked it as coming from their own checking/savings then it approved that debt ratio. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 4
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

thanks so much guys!

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.