Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Credit, low down - best option?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Credit, low down - best option?

My Fico scores are all close to 800 with 108K per year income. I have not owned a home in a few years so I would be considered a first time home buyer. I can hold off until the start of the year and have a decent amount saved for a down payment but my lease is up in a couple of months. I am paying off a couple of loans but I am only looking to buy an $80K detached single family in Vienna WV. My total loans are around $1200 per month. I have researched FHA loans at 3.5% down but I dont like the PMI for the life of the loan. I can become a member of NFCU but I am not a vet. Is that a good option? I have also read a little about Movement Mortgage. I just dont want to waste inq to find out what makes sense. I would also need to roll closing cost into the mortgage or have the seller assist.as I only have around 7K in cash currently. Thanks for any help you can give

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Good Credit, low down - best option?

@Anonymous wrote:

My Fico scores are all close to 800 with 108K per year income. I have not owned a home in a few years so I would be considered a first time home buyer. I can hold off until the start of the year and have a decent amount saved for a down payment but my lease is up in a couple of months. I am paying off a couple of loans but I am only looking to buy an $80K detached single family in Vienna WV. My total loans are around $1200 per month. I have researched FHA loans at 3.5% down but I dont like the PMI for the life of the loan. I can become a member of NFCU but I am not a vet. Is that a good option? I have also read a little about Movement Mortgage. I just dont want to waste inq to find out what makes sense. I would also need to roll closing cost into the mortgage or have the seller assist.as I only have around 7K in cash currently. Thanks for any help you can give

You have excellent scores. If I were in your shoes I would go for a conventional loan with 5% down.  There is a 3% down payment conventional program, but if you compare the two home loan programs you will see that the payment on the 3% is disproportionatly higher due to higher interest rate and higher PMI. Also the closing costs are higher with only 3% down.

There are only two ways to roll in your closing costs and pre-paid expenses due at closing:

1. Seller pays toward your costs
  2. Lender pays toward your costs 

If possible work in the closing costs through your purchase contract with a seller's contribution as it is substantially less expensive for you to do it this way.

If the lender pays, your interest rate has to increase to cover the cost and it is very, very expensive to have the lender pay for your closing costs as the higher interest rate stays for the life of the loan. In a rising interest rate market, that is not the best way to obtain funds to pay your closing costs.

You probably don't qualify for a first time homebuyer program due to your income and assets. You can check the programs in your area but they have max household income ceilings tied to the median income in your county and max assets that you are allowed to have and you most likely exceed one or both of those parameters. The best way to check out the program is to search your state (and your county) + down payment assistance mortgage and compare programs yourself. Make sure you are looking at the guidelines directly from the program and not a mortgage broker advertising because *sometimes* the ads are misleading. Note:  these programs are not consumer friendly at all. They have higher interest rates and/or higher closing costs than what you will be able to get with a traditional conventional loan. 

Message 2 of 17
wit2bees
Contributor

Navy Federal has a 100% 0 down no PMI loan.  Rate is a little higher but all things considered.... Closing one tomorrow for a client (I'm a Realtor) that has a 760 and income as a contract employee.  

TU 699 EQ 741 EX 767
- total CL = ?
- AAOA = 2.5 years
- Utilization = 9%
- Inquiries = TOOOOOOO MANY
- 50 accounts:
Updated 12/ 29 / 2021
Message 3 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@wit2bees wrote:

Navy Federal has a 100% 0 down no PMI loan.  Rate is a little higher but all things considered.... Closing one tomorrow for a client (I'm a Realtor) that has a 760 and income as a contract employee.  

^^^How much higher?  Last time I saw one of those it was more than 1.25% higher interest rate above market for the no pmi and zero down payment loan with Navy.

Message 4 of 17
Silent99
Established Member

They just quoted me 6.35% with a middle score of about 650. Apparently they will rate match with similar loans but it's basically done by underwriting on a case by case basis.

Message 5 of 17
H-B
Regular Contributor

You can get conventional loan with 3% down.  If you get seller concession you will be able to close with funds. 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look into Chase dream maker mortgage program. I'm told minimum down payment is 3%, half the PMI of FHA and no upfront PMI payment like FHA requires.
I was also told closing costs can be rolled into the mortgage. PMI is not for the lifeedback of the loan. But ithe takes paying off 78% of the mortgage for it to drop.

As for these low and no down payment loans with higher interest, you'd have a cheaper mortgage with FHA. Those rates are higher than what your APR would be with PMI on an FHA.
Message 7 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Be very careful with Chase. Their overlays are much more restrictive than other lenders with the same 3% down payment conventional loan.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took some intense study and a lot of time on the credit boards to bring my score up. Appears I may need to invest as much energy into the mortgae forum. I have found that asking stupid questions here - is far from ignorant. What are overlays?

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No question here is stupid (except for the stupid ones) lol. Just joking. On a more serious note, overlays are additional requirements the lender puts in place "on top" of government minimums. Most of the big box banks, such as Chase, WF or Boa have additional overlays, making it harder to actually close.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.