Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grace period on app'n for CC's for Mortgage

tag
Talima719
New Contributor

Grace period on app'n for CC's for Mortgage

Tomorrow I'll be signing contract with Realtor to get my house listed.  I am looking to buy a new home in the near future.  I haven't started working with the LO yet because I wanted to work on my FICO score.  I recently got a judgment removed from TransUnion and Experian  (That's another problem.  No alerts on the site yet).  And working to lower my credit utilization.

Question.  How many months in advance do I stop applying for credit cards?  My last card was a Amazon Chase card from last Summer.  I'm really tempted to go for a Amex because I keeping getting the pre-qualified offers in the mail and verified offers on their site.  More credit will help with the utilization percentage.  But my ultimate goal is to have a good credit profile for my future mortgage.

What to do?!

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Grace period on app'n for CC's for Mortgage

The general rule is not to apply for any credit cards at all if possible. I believe they stay on your report for 2 years and affect your actual score for at least 1 year. Then again, it also depends on the program type that you are going to apply- certain programs just have a minimum limit. For example, the program I applied into required only a 640 and didn't make a difference whether I was at 800 or 641, the interest rate was the same either way.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.