Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAM Modification ruining credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HAM Modification ruining credit score

I applied for assistance with my loan servicer, Citimortgage, in late March after my 55 year old husband lost a well paying job.  On May 7 I was told we were eligible for the HAM modification due to our reduced income. We were current going into the trial period and have made all payments on time, but Citi is reporting us to the CB's as delinquent.  Our FICO went from 801 in April to 635 today.  When my husband lost his job we thought we'd be proactive in a bad situation and start a small business with a start up loan from my father. Since the credit score dived, my HELOC and my business credit card have both cited the low score as reason to take my use of my lines away.  I have nothing to use as working capital and it is really tight.  We could fail and lose our home anyway due to the very program which is supposed to help us stay in our home.

I believe Citi  is reporting incorrectly, and some of the people I've talked with at Citi agree, but I seem to be having a hard time actually getting the changes made.  I found the same CDIA guidelines I saw the moderator post on another thread, only my version is updated May 2009 (his was April 2009).  It states,:

"Reporting Guidelines for Trial Period:

The guidelines below should be followed when reporting payments during the trial

period:

1. Current, but facing imminent default or Current, but eligible for loan modification

If the consumer was current with payments prior to the trial period, and they make

each month’s payment on time, report the consumer as current (Account Status

11) during the trial period. If the consumer is at least 30 days past due during the

trial period, report the Account Status Code that reflects the appropriate level of

delinquency.

Special Comment Code ‘AC’ (Paying under a partial payment agreement) should also be reported."

Can anyone comment on the difficulty I am having getting this corrected and what I need to do to make it happen? 

thank you,

Kate

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: HAM Modification ruining credit score

Appears you should be reported as current.  Have you gotten a supervisor of the loan modification department involved, and also shared the below information with them?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Kate, the phenomenon that you have experienced was recently reported.  A person who was not delinquent prior to applying for the Making Home Affordable plan saw his credit score plummet after he entered the trial period.

You are probably not being reported late.  It's that AC code, which next month is going to read "Paying under a partial or modified payment plan", that is hurting your score.  It's seen as a significant negative factor in the scoring model.

I discussed this in a little more detail here.

Message Edited by Lel on 08-04-2009 12:58 PM
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have gotten a supervisor involved.

Lel,  hmmm....I actually spoke to a reporter from Bloomberg about this situation on 7/31/09.  When did you read that article?    I believe I am being reported delinquent.  I've looked at my Equifax report and the payment status says 'pays 30-60 days' or similar language.  All my other accounts read 'pays as agrees'. 

I would think that if I were reported 'current' with the CA comment would be better than being reported as pays 30-60 days late.  I've never made a late payment or defaulted on anything in my life so this is a real shocker.  We are current on all other bills and have only paid partial payments to Citi when we were told to.

What does the AC code mean anyway and how do scorers look at it?  Will the new wording next month make a difference in how it is scored?  Is it true that they will show me current again after this is over and my credit will go back up?  That is what they keep telling me.  Unfortunately I am not sure my business can go that long without a credit line.  We do environmental consulting and a lot of the prospective customers want to know you have a line, presumably so you can finance some costs up front before they pay you, I suppose.  This type of consulting is definately based on receivables.

Message 4 of 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Kate1258 wrote:

Yes, I have gotten a supervisor involved.

Lel,  hmmm....I actually spoke to a reporter from Bloomberg about this situation on 7/31/09.  When did you read that article?    I believe I am being reported delinquent.  I've looked at my Equifax report and the payment status says 'pays 30-60 days' or similar language.  All my other accounts read 'pays as agrees'. 

I would think that if I were reported 'current' with the CA comment would be better than being reported as pays 30-60 days late.  I've never made a late payment or defaulted on anything in my life so this is a real shocker.  We are current on all other bills and have only paid partial payments to Citi when we were told to.

What does the AC code mean anyway and how do scorers look at it?  Will the new wording next month make a difference in how it is scored?  Is it true that they will show me current again after this is over and my credit will go back up?  That is what they keep telling me.  Unfortunately I am not sure my business can go that long without a credit line.  We do environmental consulting and a lot of the prospective customers want to know you have a line, presumably so you can finance some costs up front before they pay you, I suppose.  This type of consulting is definately based on receivables.

Okay, so it appears that there could be two factors working against you here.

You're right that there's an error in the way that CitiMortgage is reporting your loan to the CRAs, based on the current CDIA guidelines.  Have you checked all three credit reports for the same reporting pattern?   Like you already figured out, if you were current when you started the MHA process, you should be reported as current.

Even if you get the late reporting corrected, the AC code might still have a negative effect on your score.  That seems to be what is implied in the Bloomberg article.  However, for the illustrated case, the article doesn't specifically mention what is being reported on his credit reports that caused his score drop - we don't know whether he is being incorrectly reported as late, whether the AC code is attached to his mortgage accounts, or if there are other factors that negatively affect his score.

Based on what the FICO scientist says in this article, it seems like the AC code will have a directly negative effect on a person's scores.  This is not without precedent; when a short sale code is attached to a closed mortgage account ("Paid in full for less than the account balance", or something like that), this code drives down one's FICO score.  I don't expect the new wording to change how one's scores would be affected.  This change is being made so that the CRAs can more accurately describe the phenomenon of loan modifications.

What will happen after your trial period is over and the modification is finalized?  According to the CDIA guidelines, the AC code is still supposed to be reported.  After November 1, the new CN code will apply (taking the place of AC) if the mortgage was modified under the MHA plan.  So unfortunately, it looks like the credit score hit is going to persist even after a loan modification is finalized.

[Edited: links orginally contained in this message were no longer active, and have been removed.  Also, at present the CN code is not expected to have a negative effect on one's FICO score.]

Message Edited by Lel on 01-26-2010 09:51 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.