Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEL vs HELOC rate help

tag
mbrown75
Established Member

HEL vs HELOC rate help

Hey guys, I have a question about HEL vs HELOC.

First let me say (before you ask how in the heck does she own a home and not know this???) when I received an inheritance, I bought my home. I didn't go through a loan process so I really don't know how it all works.

My husband and I would like to do some remodeling and some upgrades before we put our house on the market. We're looking at borrowing around $60,000 (our home is valued at around $140,000). We are members of NFCU and have been looking at their rates. We're looking at only carrying this loan for a max of 2 years.

Their lowest rates right now are 6.15% for the home-equity loan (1-5 years) and 3.99% for the home-equity line of credit. I understand that the HELOC is variable and could very well go up and that anything COULD happen, but realistically in the next 2 years would the rate on the HELOC it be jacked up higher than the HEL rate? With the HELOC I like the fact that we would only be paying interest on what we had out at that particular time instead of a lump sum with the HEL. It's just that variable rate that tends to scare me off a bit.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: HEL vs HELOC rate help

What is the HELOC tied to? (prime rate, etc.) Variable rates are usually some published rate + X%. (Make sure yours isn't prime + 3.99%, for instance.)

My HELOC, issued in the good old days, is 0.95% LESS than the prime rate, so I'm currently paying 2.3%.

If it's tied to the prime rate, you generally get some heads-up from the financial press as to whether the Fed will start raising the rate. It's been down at 3.25% forever, it feels like.

Also, many variable rates have some sort of cap, in that they can only go up a certain amount in a year or other period. Check to see if that provision is in there. If it is, and you know that you'll pay it off in 2 years, you might be covered.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
mbrown75
Established Member

This is what their website says about the HELOC

All HELOC are variable-rate products and the APR, payment, or term may change.  Current rates range from 3.99% APR to 11.25% APR with a plan maximum of 18% APR.  The minimum APR that can apply during the HELOC is 3.99%. Our HELOC APR varies based on Prime rate which is currently 3.25% and is updated according to the published rate in the Wall Street Journal on the first work day of every month.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

One point to bring up.  Unless your home is in pretty dire situation and unless you are going to do all of the work yourself, you may be better off not doing anything besides a thorough cleaning and painting.  Most home improvements are net losses.  Even the big ones (bathrooms and kitchens) tend to only recoup 70-80% of investment.  If your idea is to do work to maximize your return on the home sale, then you should probably just put some money into cleaning, staging, painting, and any needed maintenance.  Remodeling  (unless the place is really torn up) is usually alot of lost money.  I am sure 60K into a 140K place would not nearly return the investment.  This used to be less the case, but now, in this market, those upgrades and stuff simply do not pay for themselves and alot of buyers would rather have either the lower sales price or some concessions at close so they can pick out stuff such as any new flooring, etc.

For example...Say you take a note out at 60K for 2 years at 4%, that is roughly 65K in costs with interest even if it is zero closing costs.

Now you put 60K into the house. 

IT's value is likely to only go up 30-40K in 90% of cases.  Maybe as much as 45-50K if you do all the work and make absolutely the smartest choices.  So lets assume the best outcome of roughly 50K return on 60K investment...

Now the home sells for 190K (140K + 50K)

after an average 10% in realtors fees and concessions which is fairly normal, you clear 171K.  Subtract out the 65K loan and interest and you have cleared 106K on the deal.

Now instead, you spend 2K on some new paint and cleanup. You sell the same home for 140K now.  Subtract out 10% fees and concessions.  You have 126K left over.  Now give the buyer 5K towards new flooring/etc and subtract the 2K spent on paint/etc.  119K left over.

By not taking out the loan or putting alot of work into the place you have made an extra 13K on the home sale.

Those are pretty reasonable and accurate numbers and that is assuming an 83% return on total investment with the first scenario which is highly unlikely.  Simply put, you are going to pay interest on the loan, higer commissions on the higher sales price, and loose money on the improvements.

That said, there are some exceptions.  If you are doing the work soley for your benefit and are not worried about the return on investment would be one thing.  Also, If you bought a home very cheaply and are doing all of the work yourself, you can about break even doing the work.. The bottom line is that the interest and higher commissions are almost always going to offset your gains in value even if you got 100% return on the remodel which almost never happens.  Even the really professional house flippers only get by because they only buy properties that are way underpriced, they buy their products in bulk at a discount, and they have crews that do the work for less money because they have a steady work load with the investor/flipper. 

In any case, good luck in either way. 

Message 4 of 8
mbrown75
Established Member

Thank you for your comments. And I agree, I am not doing the remodelling/repairs just for the sake of a higher selling price. I understand the rate of return is not 100% but in some cases it may be the deciding factor in the house selling at all.  Some of the items HAVE to be done - new roof, new garage door, new gutters, etc. The others are being done because we want them. The house won't even go on the market for at least 18 months and we'd like to be able to enjoy our remodel and new purchases in the meantime. So, I think we are making the wisest decision in the remodel.

Message 5 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@mbrown75 -- If I was about to do what you're, I'd want to figure out these things before I made any decisions:

1. Can you afford to pay back the loan if you couldn't sell the house? I know you plan to sell the house rather quickly, but could you afford to pay off the loan if you either couldn't sell the house as quick as you could or can't get as much as you expected.
  2. How does your cost of ownership compare to the typical rental rates in your area? Factoring your total cost of owning this home (property taxes, insurance, and principal and interest on any loans) how does the house cost to own vs. how much it would get as a rental. This is really part of answering the first question and determine a worst case scenario of what you could do if the house couldn't see for enough.
  3. How does the price and qualities of your post-renovations house compare to it's neighborhood? You don't want the future price and qualities of your house to not match the comparables of the neighborhood and surrounding area. When doing this analysis, you want to take into consideration at least price, bedrooms and square footage.
  4. Will securing this loan make it harder to secure a loan for your next home?
  5. What are the things you want vs. the things you need? Make sure that your need items (things that are necessary to ensure the structure and safety of the home, repairs required for a FHA purchase, etc.) get done first, then do your wants. That way if something goes way over budget, or your credit line is cut, you don't have to worry about how you're going to pay for the repair.

Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@mbrown75 wrote:

This is what their website says about the HELOC

All HELOC are variable-rate products and the APR, payment, or term may change.  Current rates range from 3.99% APR to 11.25% APR with a plan maximum of 18% APR.  The minimum APR that can apply during the HELOC is 3.99%. Our HELOC APR varies based on Prime rate which is currently 3.25% and is updated according to the published rate in the Wall Street Journal on the first work day of every month.

So they don't say how it's tied to the prime rate? That's really odd. I would think that somewhere or another it would say prime plus X%, with the minimum of 3.99%. You have the minimum amount stated, but not the prime plus X%.

So it appears that it can vary whenever the prime rate varies. FWIW, the Fed seems intent on keeping rates where they now are for the forseeable future, as they're terrified of the prospect of inflation, so my guess would be that within two years, you'd be OK. But that's only a guess. (The banks like the rate that underlies the prime rate to be low, because it means cheap money for them, and since they seem to have a lot of influence, that's another reason I don't expect a big upward change any time soon. But again, that's a guess.)

If it did start moving up, it would still have to be enough above the HEL rate for a long enough period to cancel out the advantage that you get from the 3.99% for however long. So again, I'd guess that within a two-year period, you'd be OK. But still, that's very much a guess, and the strange goings-on in the financial area, especially with rates, is unprecedented.

Anyway, that's how you could look at the HELOC vs HEL APR angle. All the other comments above are relevant as well, of course.

We've had to put on a new roof and front porch, lest we lie in bed and look at the sky, or need a ladder to get to the front door.

All things that those new to home-buying need to keep in mind, btw. The joys of homeownership are complex and tend to come in waves. (Such as when we had to replace our entire septic field on our 25th anniversary, meaning that we had a Septic Anniversary instead of a Silver Anniversary.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

All things that those new to home-buying need to keep in mind, btw. The joys of homeownership are complex and tend to come in waves. (Such as when we had to replace our entire septic field on our 25th anniversary, meaning that we had a Septic Anniversary instead of a Silver Anniversary.)

How romantic!!!  Smiley Wink

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 10/10-774
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.