Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC: Locking in rate on portion - Impact on Scores

tag
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

HELOC: Locking in rate on portion - Impact on Scores

I have a variable rate HELOC. I am using about 80% of the available line of credit. With rates rising, I'm locking in my balance to a fixed rate. That portion that gets locked in essentially turns into a regular mortgage loan with an amortization schedule. As I pay that down, whatever principal I free up goes back into the available line of credit and can be withdrawn again, if I wish. (I haven't drawn from this account in six years, and don't plan to).

My question: Once I've locked the rate on that portion, how will this show up on my credit report, and what impact will it have on my credit scores? Or will it be transparent to the FICO algorithms?

The HELOC has always shown up as Revolving Credit (like a credit card). Will this change?

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: HELOC: Locking in rate on portion - Impact on Scores

It may vary depending on the lender... but in my personal experience, a fixed-rate portion of a HELOC has not reported separately from the revolving line portion, during the draw period. (One tradeline, "revolving/real estate", with the total balance from both.)

After the draw period closes (again, this may vary by lender), the account may start reporting as an installment instead of revolving.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.