cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC vs Home Equity Loan for new garage construction?

Get your FICO Score for free

No credit card required

JFox418
Regular Contributor

HELOC vs Home Equity Loan for new garage construction?

Bought our home a little over 2 years ago and the one thing it was missing that we really wanted was a shop/garage. It's looking like this years prices are coming down enough to consider my options for a new build and I'm curious what might be the best way to fund it without dumping a bunch of cash up front. 

Are there any preferences between a HELOC or Home Equity Loan? I've done a little reading and it seems like the HELOC would be on profile for a long time. HEL would be more like a personal loan but benefit from being secured and lower interest right? Are there big differences in repayment options? 

We have about $50k of equity in the home and only looking to use maybe $20-$25k for the new garage.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: HELOC vs Home Equity Loan for new garage construction?

@JFox418 wrote:

Bought our home a little over 2 years ago and the one thing it was missing that we really wanted was a shop/garage. It's looking like this years prices are coming down enough to consider my options for a new build and I'm curious what might be the best way to fund it without dumping a bunch of cash up front. 

Are there any preferences between a HELOC or Home Equity Loan? I've done a little reading and it seems like the HELOC would be on profile for a long time. HEL would be more like a personal loan but benefit from being secured and lower interest right? Are there big differences in repayment options? 

We have about $50k of equity in the home and only looking to use maybe $20-$25k for the new garage.  

Generally HELOCs are variable rate loans with interest only payments and are set up like a credit card where you can pay it down and reuse it. The downside with a HELOC is that they're typically tied to the prime rate and the Fed Reserve is forecasting at least 3 rate increases in 2022. Since the rate is variable you're looking at 3 rate increases the 1st year.

A HEL is a fixed rate loan with terms that vary from a 15 year fixed to a 30 due in 15 balloon. The rate and payment will typically be higher than a HELOC.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.