Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP-Auto loan & weird circumstances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP-Auto loan & weird circumstances

So here's the scoop:
I'm a 32 year-old male physician in fellowship training with new NET income of $4100/month since 7/01/2007. Was divorced last year so much of my account history is "joint" not individual. In 8/06 I, and my ex, paid off 2 vehicles within 2 years, the financing for which we obtained via a credit union in the state we formerly lived.  We never had any late payments. I have total monthly mortgage payments (a 1st and HELOC) of $242K which has never been late, and a deferred student loan balance of $125K on which I don't have to make any payments. In the divorce proceedings my ex got one vehicle and I kept the other, but had to sell it to raise $ for legal fees-- I've got a POS car now on its very last legs and need a vehicle. My FICO score is 611; I'm dinged for a nearly maxed out cc balance of $1500 which is my only revolving balance. The big scare I think is that everyone sees $360K of debt and no income to match. Ironically when my fellowship ends in 4 years I will start at ~$400K annually in the field for which I'm training. Fine, of course, but I need a car now. I know the first step is to pay my cc down to <10% and make my monthly payments on time (3 x 30 days in the last 12months), but I really need transportation before the 3 months or so I'm guessing it'll take for this to be reflected on my score.
I live in Virginia, if it matters, and want to know if I stand a chance of being approved for an auto loan with this score of 611 immediately. . . will the rates be awful?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP-Auto loan & weird circumstances

Sorry, make that monthly payments of 1330 and 500 for 1st and HELOC, respectively representing $242K balance.  Clearing ~$1600/month so payments and insurance won't be a problem.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

$1800 on a $242K loan - DANG

Pay that card off- PERIOD
Even if you do it just before the statement posts and you have to use it.

That might get your score up to where you want it to get a decent APR. You have paid auto loans this may help your Auto Enhanced FICO.

Are you trading anything in? or Have a down payment?
Looking New or Used? Price Range? Highest acceptable APR?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you can find a deal on a high-mileage but serviceable good used car to give you some breathing room without going through financing. Do you have enough cash in reserves (maybe a few thousand) to buy outright a used Honda or Toyota that might provide enough reliable service for a stop-gap? At least until you can pay your CC's down a bit? If you don't have a real long commute and can get by with a decent used car for awhile, you can use the time to build up your scores.

Message Edited by taz on 09-06-2007 02:04 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.