cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW WILL PURCHASING A NEW CAR AFFECT MY CREDIT SCORE AND FUTURE HOME PURCHASE.

tag
BLESS

HOW WILL PURCHASING A NEW CAR AFFECT MY CREDIT SCORE AND FUTURE HOME PURCHASE.

I currently have a 651 fico score and plan to purchase my first home in the next 6 to 9 months. I would like to purchase a new or used car no more than $15,000. I would like to know if this will affect my credit score and ultimately hurt my chances at purchasing a new home. I currently have 2 credit cards that total 1400 credit limit. These credit cards have a zero balance. I have 24000 that I owe in student loans that are currently in grace and payments will start in October/2012 with a 50 dollar monthly payment. Should I purchase a new or used car? Please advise.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
thrillege
Valued Member

Re: HOW WILL PURCHASING A NEW CAR AFFECT MY CREDIT SCORE AND FUTURE HOME PURCHASE.

It will help it. Not hurt it. They like to see some Installment loans.

Message 2 of 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: HOW WILL PURCHASING A NEW CAR AFFECT MY CREDIT SCORE AND FUTURE HOME PURCHASE.

it will hurt (inquriy and new account/drops aaoa) at first but over time it will help it. 

and yes they always say they like variety in your reports. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You'll actually drop at first.  Take somethings into consideration.  First it will add an inquiry.  This may or may not affect your score.  Second it will bring down you AAoA, might not be too much, but some drop.  Then it will also figure into your DTI when time to get your mortgage.  After a time, it will actually help your score as it will give you another TL.  But be prepared for the inital drop before it goes up.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@BLESS wrote:

I currently have a 651 fico score and plan to purchase my first home in the next 6 to 9 months. I would like to purchase a new or used car no more than $15,000. I would like to know if this will affect my credit score and ultimately hurt my chances at purchasing a new home. I currently have 2 credit cards that total 1400 credit limit. These credit cards have a zero balance. I have 24000 that I owe in student loans that are currently in grace and payments will start in October/2012 with a 50 dollar monthly payment. Should I purchase a new or used car? Please advise.

Well, my LO advised me not to get any new accounts within 6 months of purchase. Although, a letter of explanation will likely all you need.

Couple points:

Although when shopping for cars all inquiries are scored as 1, they will still all show, and they will all have to be explained to the lender.

You're student loans already will be considered in your DTI. Do you really want to add 250+ a month to that? It will reduce the home purchase price you can be approved for as well.

How new are those credit cards?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 10
BLESS

My credit cards are 13 months old
Message 6 of 10
BLESS

Do you know roughly how long it will take for my score to go back up?
Message 7 of 10
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

It all depends on what kind of a hit you will get from AAOAs.

If you have a thin file with a long history, it could take a while to recover. But if you have a thin file with a short history you probably wont see much of a score change.

Message 8 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

It will hurt your debt to income ratio and will affect how much house you can buy. I think you should get a car after the house.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@webhopper wrote:
It will hurt your debt to income ratio and will affect how much house you can buy. I think you should get a car after the house.

^^^^this above. I see car loans kill real estate purchases all the time.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.