cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever financed through the builder Taylor Morrison?

tag
Vwaller72
Valued Member

Has anyone ever financed through the builder Taylor Morrison?

My wife and I have been offered an absolutely insane deal on our dream home through Taylor Morrison. We hit the right community at the right time and are honestly coming out like bandits. You wouldn't believe the deal we are getting, even our realtor who is very experienced says she can't remember the last time she saw a builder offer as much as they are offering us in credits. They are actually paying our rent for a month on the current place because I told them the date they wanted to close was too early for me! (They are doing that by doing an additional credit at closing equal to my rent payment for April). 

The catch is in order to get all these sweet deals I have to finance through the builder. Has anyone dealt with Taylor Morrison financing before? I'd love to hear about your experience. I'm a little nervous about what they may expect in terms of cash reserves and that they may have more stringent requirements because they know you aren't shopping around. Is builder financing usually tighter or looser than other financing? I'll be going VA if that helps at all. 

Any insight on dealing with Taylor Morrison or any other builder financing insights?

Current scores EX: 678 (lender pull), MyFICO TU: 696 & EQ: 664
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever financed through the builder Taylor Morrison?

Out of curiosity, I googled "Taylor Morrison reviews" and got a fair number of links that would make me very cautious about dealing with them.

I'd check them out good before I went with them.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 2 of 33
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

I think builder financing is usualy easier to get as they have more vested interest in making it happen.

Message 3 of 33
getting2work
Contributor

We are in the process of going VA with Taylor Morrison. So far everything has been good but we are just in the beginning stage. Our house won't be finished until June. Our file was sent to the loan processor about a week ago. We were told they focus on houses closing sooner first so we may not hear anything for a few weeks. So nerve wracking!
Working on buying our first home!
10/15/2012 TU 680 EX 658 EQ 684
06/26/2009 TU 644 EX 601(fako) EQ 614
06/06/2009 TU 612 EX 526 (fako) EQ 614
05/01/2009 TU 594 EX ???? EQ 563
01/01/2009 TU 527 EX 453 (fako) EQ 477
Message 4 of 33
getting2work
Contributor

We also applied with veterans united in case we have any issues with TM funding. Keep us posted!
Message 5 of 33
playboy
Regular Contributor

I looked at Taylor Morrison homes a couple of weeks ago and I searched online for information on their in-house financing.  From the research I did, technically they didn't/don't have in-house financing at this moment.  They're currently using Met Life for the financing, but in Met Life is moving away from mortgage financing.  So in March of this year Taylor Morrison is going with another bank; not sure which one.  Bc TM is a correspondent lender, they'll have to find another lender that would buy the loans TM processes.  But that is more behind the scenes stuff.  I will say that from what I've read, it's been tougher for correspondent lenders to sell the loans they package to banks, especially banks that will not take high and medium risk loans.  Not all in-house lending is correspondent lending as some in-house lenders have their reserves in which they fund they loans they make.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 33
getting2work
Contributor

So you're saying right now it might be more difficult to get the loan through Taylor Morrison because they are a correspondent lender? I hope it's not too difficult we are getting 10k in credits.
Message 7 of 33
playboy
Regular Contributor

@getting2work wrote:
So you're saying right now it might be more difficult to get the loan through Taylor Morrison because they are a correspondent lender? I hope it's not too difficult we are getting 10k in credits.

Not saying that.  TM will approve your loan if you met there requirements.  Whom they sell the loan to is another issue.  You'll see that on your GFE.  Someone will buy the group of loans that TM will try to sell.  There's Fannie Mae and the like.  But a lot of these banks don't want to are taking on alot of high to medium risk loans.  Wells Fargo I believe is one of the largest buyers and the good news is that they haven't indicated any intent to pull back.  However, Citigroup has indicated that they'll pull back.

As I said, this is all behinds the curtains type of stuff that the lender handles.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 33
Vwaller72
Valued Member

Great, getting2work we get to go through this together! Since one of the reasons I'm getting this great deal is they are behind quota in our area for Q1 (Fulsher, TX). They are trying the cram as many in to March as they can. As of right now our tentative closing date is March 21st. 

Have the given you any indication of how much in reserves they require on VA loans? Also I have my COE but ISD they ask for anything else like a DD214?

Signing the contract  at 10 AM. This is our first home. I've never been so nervous and excited in my life. 

Current scores EX: 678 (lender pull), MyFICO TU: 696 & EQ: 664
Message 9 of 33
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

We are buying a brand new Lennar home and we are going through their in house lender (UAMC) for financing. We are doing an FHA loan and we are closing today. However, we also had to get approval from CHFA (our housing authority) because we are doing a special loan program through them that allows us to roll 3% of our downpayment into a second mortgage. So we only had to come up with 0.5% down which was covered by our earnest money. CHFA will be buying the loan from UAMC and servicing it for the life of the loan. If we weren't doing a CHFA loan program, my LO said the loan would be sold to JP Morgan Chase or Wells Fargo. UAMC's credit score requirements are a little stricter...the min mid fico is 660 versus 640 from a Broker I was originally going to do the loan through. We switched to UAMC because we are getting $15,500 in lender credits/incentives. $5,000 off the price of the home plus all closing costs paid and a $500 credit at closing to offset some of the costs for a Radon Mitigation System as the home has high Radon levels (12 pCi/L),

I think UAMC is really only more strict on credit score and not anything else. I have an unpaid collection from 2009 on my credit report in the amount of $1100 and it did not have to be paid. I just had to write an LOE for it. I also still have a Chapter 7 reporting on my credit report that will be removed in Aug as it was filed in 2003. I also filed a Chapter 13 in 2005 that has been fully paid, discharged, and removed from my credit reports in Oct 2012. The UW wanted info about BOTH bankruptcies and a LOE for both but I was approved with flying colors. They did tell me if my score was lower, the unpaid collection that I have would have needed to be paid but that's it! So I think you have a good chance of approval with the Builder's lender. My qualifying mid fico score was 703.

The experience was a lot less personal than with a Broker and I didn't like that. I met my LO once for Desktop Underwriting and that is it. My loan processor is in Arizona so everything was done by phone, email and fax. I put down earnest money to hold the property on 1/2. Went on contract on 1/5. And was cleared to close on 2/5. So it took a full month and we were hoping for a quicker turnaround time as we are under very short time constraints but it all worked out! :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.