Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

He has a good score I have a bad score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

He has a good score I have a bad score

Hello, this is my first post here, my boyfriend and I are expecting our first baby this summer, so now we are wanting to get a house. He has excellent credit, I don't! My Equifax fico is 558, I'm thinking it will go up because I've just had 2 collection accounts agree to a deletion. My question is, will my bad score DQ us from a mortgage even if his is excellent? Thank you for any help!!! I didn't realize how bad my credit was until recently, he has no idea Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: He has a good score I have a bad score

If you're both planning to be on the mortgage, it's very likely.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 22
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

Is it possible for him to qualify on his own, income wise? If so, you can go that route.

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I'm hoping he can qualify on his own! Do you think with 2 CA's deleted today my score will go up.
Message 4 of 22
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

I would say YMMV (your mileage may vary) on whether or not it will go up. Some people get large boost in score when a CA deletes, and some don't see much of a jump.

Stay viligant and positive and do as much research as possible! Smiley Happy

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Him not knowing is a GREAT way to start house shopping....or anything else.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

StrateUp, I didn't realize how bad my credit was and I didn't come on here for discouraging comments but thanks anyways
Message 8 of 22
drkaje
Senior Contributor

You should really be upfront about credit/finance stuff. People really don't like surprises, especially when sitting in front of a loan officer.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 9 of 22
FrugalRican
Blogger

I thought I had already posted here? I guess it didn't go through.

Anyway, again, Luna I'd advise you to tell him now. You just found out yourself.

I've seen people be surprised by their SO's being on ChexSystems or having terrible credit and it was never a quiet scene shortly afterward.

Let him know what the situation is so it can give you two a better sense of timing. The last thing you want is having him find out in front of a loan officer, and trust it's never easy to break the news and then realize one of the two in the party didn't know. This forum is a wealth of knowledge for credit repair, but it'd definitely help if you had his support as well in doing so. Who knows, he might even try to help you out as well with all of this. I know I'd help my DGF. She helped me.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.