Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Which to pay down first?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Which to pay down first?

Hi,

In the context of improving credit score for mortage application in next 3 months, should I focus on paying down my 3 cards with above 50% credit utilization or pay off 3 other low balance cards to Zero balance? My FICO 8 scores are

707EX

706EQ

703TU

and Experian FICO score 2 is 731. I have a total of 10 revolving credit accounts of which 2 cards are at 70% utilization, 1 at 63%, 3 at 50%, 3 at 35% and 1 at 0%. I know that credit utilization has great impact on credit score and DTI is of significance when mortage application is considered. Do I pay down heavily used cards to under 50% thereby lowering minimum payments on them(DTI in focus) or pay off 3 low balance cards to limit number of open accounts with balance? I don't have enough money to pay down all cards at the same time. In my situation which strategy will improve my stand in front of a lender to secure best rate? 
9 REPLIES 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Help! Which to pay down first?

Hi @Anonymous, and welcome to myFICO! welcome.gif

I've removed your duplicate thread.  Please avoid cross-posting in the future; it's confusing to follow and is against the guidelines here.

--UB

Message 2 of 10
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

If it were me, I would work like all get out to pay down those with the high utilization. I have a personal rule - I never, ever use more than 10% of my credit limit. That is just destructive to your credit. That is just my opinion...best of luck!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would drop the utilization on the highest ones first, then the highest apr balances, and overall total utilization on your available credit should still go down.
Message 4 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

If you have a mortgage broker you are working with, give them a call

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No mortgage broker yet. Trying to improve score as much as I can befor going for preapproval. Thanks!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thank You!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dave Ramsey's approach: Pay off your debt from smallest to largest irrespective of interest rates.

Suggestions from other financial guru's: Pay off your debt with the highest % interest rate, then work your way down (regardless of actual debt amounts).

Message 9 of 10
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

I read here that we should consider the following in no specific order: 

• UTIL thresholds - 88.9, 68.9, 48.9, 28.9 and 8.9 (does these go for both individual AND overall UTIL?) 
  • # of accounts with balances vs # of accounts 
  •  # of Inquiries 
  • DTI (less accounts with balances help this?) 

Depends on how much money you have, how much your balances are, and how long before you app.

I would PIF the smallest ones first (2nd bullet), then use what's left to get the larger ones to the next lower threshold (1st bullet)...like your 50% balances, just need to get under 48.9%. I think if you follow adhere to the first two bullets, the last two aren't worries. 

Best of luck!! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.