Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me get above 680!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me get above 680!

My middle score is at 671 presently. We will be closing on our home (new build) in August with a hard pull 60 days out from closing so I'm guessing probably mid June. This gives me one more cycle to hopefully get where I want to be! 
I have no collections or negative accounts. I have a string of student loan lates from 2019 which I tried to goodwill but couldn't. (I actually have proof I was making payments but thought I was on a different plan (extended) when I wasn't) I paid as soon as I was alerted to the error but by that point I was derogatory almost 1k so stupid mistake but nothing I can do about it now! Been current over a year and 4 months now. 
Now for where I could have some wiggle room: 

my chase card  rr southwest: 1900/5200 

my AA Citibank card that I'm an authorized user on: 1800/3000

A JCP card I haven't used in forever: 0/1900 

I will get paid two more times before June and have about 1700 dollars from each paycheck discretionary income. I could wipe out all the credit cards but will this get me the score increase I need? What can I expect? 

My husband is at a middle score of 720 and he could qualify for the loan on his own but it would be close. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! 

3 REPLIES 3
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Help me get above 680!

@Anonymous wrote:

My middle score is at 671 presently. We will be closing on our home (new build) in August with a hard pull 60 days out from closing so I'm guessing probably mid June. This gives me one more cycle to hopefully get where I want to be! 
I have no collections or negative accounts. I have a string of student loan lates from 2019 which I tried to goodwill but couldn't. (I actually have proof I was making payments but thought I was on a different plan (extended) when I wasn't) I paid as soon as I was alerted to the error but by that point I was derogatory almost 1k so stupid mistake but nothing I can do about it now! Been current over a year and 4 months now. 
Now for where I could have some wiggle room: 

my chase card  rr southwest: 1900/5200 

my AA Citibank card that I'm an authorized user on: 1800/3000

A JCP card I haven't used in forever: 0/1900 

I will get paid two more times before June and have about 1700 dollars from each paycheck discretionary income. I could wipe out all the credit cards but will this get me the score increase I need? What can I expect? 

My husband is at a middle score of 720 and he could qualify for the loan on his own but it would be close. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! 

@Anonymous  Are you in the position to pay down your cards further? If you reduce your utilization and/or do AZEO All Zero Except One card reporting a balance should get you those points.

Remember these aggregate utilization thresholds: 9%, 29%, 49%, 69%, 89%
Remember these individual utilization thresholds: 29%, 49%, 69%, 89%

If you're not crossing a threshold, you won't be getting points. I would recommend:

• Zero out the AU card and have it report $0.
  • Reduce your chase card  rr southwest to at least 29% ($1508) or lower. Fully optimzimed would be to report $100 or less.
  • Use your JCP card so the lender does not close the account for non usage. Put a swipe on it but pay it off and have it report $0.

I would recommend reading the below from ABCD2199
The Truth about Credit Card Utilization
My 11 Rules to Credit Rebuilding
FICO Score: What to pay down first?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ +1

Message 3 of 4
Harmony12
Frequent Contributor

+1 @AllZero is right. 

You can easily get to 680 by getting to AZEO and making sure you are hitting those thresholds. You will need to do this quickly though because you will need to make those payments before your statement end date. Otherwise, you risk the new credit pull not including your lowered utilization. 

Starting CK FAKOS 6/28/2018
TU 503
EQ 498
Discover EX 537

FICO 8
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 557 701
TU 566 715
EX 514 711

Mortgage Scores FICO 5,4,2
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 494 685
TU 480 703
EX 479 693

Goal Score 720
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.