Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on seeing if I could qualify!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help on seeing if I could qualify!

Salt Lake City Utah. I have nothing down.
Message 11 of 16
IQn2D
New Contributor

Are you a Veteran? Do you have money saved? (401k, Investments, etc)

Starting Score: EQ612, TU644, EX622 4-22-17
Current Score: EQ720, TU728, EX705 02-18-18
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 16
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Salt Lake City Utah. I have nothing down.

You'll need at least 3.5% down & based on your debt to income ratios you'll probably be looking at purchase price of 170K +/-.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you help, its going to be tough, but my outstanding debt is holding me back. My next question is this.....

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/loans/message-id/215379#

I have a grand total of 14,428 in credit card debt.....

question is could I get a consolidation loan to clear the balances? I definanly wouldn't be using the cards until the loan was paid off.  My current montly payments to credit cards are...minimums of course. 413 a month. If I was to be approved for the debt consolidation, my montly payments would be $296 at 9% of course I hope to get a better interest rate.  What do you guys think. I need to get my total balances off to atleast 5K to qualify for a 286K home loan in Utah.

Message 14 of 16
seap74
Established Member

I'm sorry, the numbers are just not adding up for you to be able to qualify for a $280K+ mortgage right now. 

First off, you will need to save at the very least a 3.5% down payment.

Next - DTI:

Debt consolidation is really not the answer - that's just moving debt from one place to another. Better to aggresively just tackle getting those paid off or down to a utilization <8.9%. Even if you were to consolidate all your credit cards (I was assuming you were not including your auto loan in this), that breaks down to:

$650 car payment + $296 consolidation loan = $946 = 23% dti

To stay under 45% dti with an income of $4100/month, that only leaves $899 for your mortgage payment. With less than 20% down, your payment would have to include PMI, which with a low credit score is very expensive if you can even qualify, plus add in principal, interest, homeowners insurance, property taxes. No way could you get a house in that price range for $899.

Honestly I think you have some work to do before you consider even applying for a mortgate - get the credit card util to <8.9% preferably AZEO, start saving a down payment of at the very least 3.5% (which at that price range is almost 10K).  By the time you do all this, your credit score would probably be a little higher. Can you rethink that price range? That seems very high for your income.

Also, where did you get your credit score of 640? You will need your 3 mortgage scores, take the middle score. Fico 8 or Vantagescores can vary quite a bit.

Good luck.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello thanks my friend I do have some work to do, I def can reconsider the price. I also got my score from here myfico

wrote:

I'm sorry, the numbers are just not adding up for you to be able to qualify for a $280K+ mortgage right now. 

First off, you will need to save at the very least a 3.5% down payment.

Next - DTI:

Debt consolidation is really not the answer - that's just moving debt from one place to another. Better to aggresively just tackle getting those paid off or down to a utilization <8.9%. Even if you were to consolidate all your credit cards (I was assuming you were not including your auto loan in this), that breaks down to:

$650 car payment + $296 consolidation loan = $946 = 23% dti

To stay under 45% dti with an income of $4100/month, that only leaves $899 for your mortgage payment. With less than 20% down, your payment would have to include PMI, which with a low credit score is very expensive if you can even qualify, plus add in principal, interest, homeowners insurance, property taxes. No way could you get a house in that price range for $899.

Honestly I think you have some work to do before you consider even applying for a mortgate - get the credit card util to <8.9% preferably AZEO, start saving a down payment of at the very least 3.5% (which at that price range is almost 10K).  By the time you do all this, your credit score would probably be a little higher. Can you rethink that price range? That seems very high for your income.

Also, where did you get your credit score of 640? You will need your 3 mortgage scores, take the middle score. Fico 8 or Vantagescores can vary quite a bit.

Good luck.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.