Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help

I applied for an fha loan and I have an old
Chargeoff that I once tried to dispute so it has a comment. The lender wants me to submit a letter saying I no longer dispute this. Will this reset the clock and have the creditor trying to update this on my report? It’s out of the statue of limitations for lawsuit.

Another thing. I was gifted funds and am told that I need to also bring some of my own money to the table to not look like a risky borrower. Why is this?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: Help

Submit a letter to whom? The UW for the file? Or are they asking you to remove the dispute from the collection item on your credit report?
How old is the charge off ?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The letter is for the underwriter for my file. They didn’t ask that I pay just that I send a letter saying that I no longer dispute the item to the 3 credit bureaus. And it’s 5 years old.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It shows on my report that customer disputes the item in the remarks/comment section on the report. I tried to have the item removed years ago more than once.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not saying I know a lot here. Very new to mortgages, however: If you were to send a letter to UW saying that you no longer dispute the item on your reports, wouldn't that be grounds for the UW to deny the loan?
Message 5 of 6
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

A: If I understand your question correctly, the Lender is merely requesting an LOE (letter of explanation) stating this account is not in dispute. If that's correct, then write it. If the lender is now wanting that dispute removed, that 's a different story. If this is the case AND your are applying either an FHA, VA or USDA loan, you need to call all three credit bureaus and tell them you are applying for a mortgage and you want that tradeline updated to "Dispute resolved, consumer disagrees".  If you're applying for a Conventional loan, you must remove the dispute comment completely.  This process can take 24-48 hours.  The LO can also order a Correction/Rapid Rescore. If the charge off and dispute are really that old, then your score should not drop.

A: There are many reason why a LO would tell you this, but to not explain the thought process seems strange.  But my best guess is either you need to bring more funds to close, need to show reserves, or this lender thinks your loan is very weak and they want to see you have some skin in the game.
Summary -  With 30 years as a LO myself, I made the majority of my stupid and costly mistakes in the first 3 years of my career. It seems you may be working with a Rookie LO. I strongly recommend that you pick up the phone and press them to explain in greater detail the strategy or plan.  I have learned over the years, that the more I educate my borrowers the fewer snarls and trap we run into. Please call and so you can get the straight scoop and not end up with denied loan.

Best wishes to you!
Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.