cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High student loan debt and low income....Is a mortgage possible???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High student loan debt and low income....Is a mortgage possible???

Yes, multiple mortgage pulls createba small drop in points but not major. You'll most likely have to write a letter of explanation during the underwriting process but it should not break the future deal.

Good luck!
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how did you get preapproval with your student loan debt? Who did you go through? I too have students loans I am concerned will interfere will the loan process. Thanks!
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So how did you get preapproval with your student loan debt? Who did you go through? I too have students loans I am concerned will interfere will the loan process. Thanks!

Hi!  I should update this thread.  Yes I was able to obtain a loan!  My LO said that Fannie Mae had updated how they calculate student loan debt. I am currently on an IBR due to my low salary.  I was able to use my monthly IBR payment to be caluclated into my DTI. So if you can qualify for a conventional loan you should ask about it!  Good luck!!!

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some Lenders have access to loan programs that will use the actual payment to qualify you while other lenders will be required to use 1%. I would reach out to several different lenders to see what their guidelines are. My company can use your actual reported payment for a conventional loan.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, I didn't actually answer your question. Yes, lenders have access to different programs. Shop around. I happened to get linked to my lender via an inquiry about a down payment assistance program.
Message 15 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi!  I should update this thread.  Yes I was able to obtain a loan!  My LO said that Fannie Mae had updated how they calculate student loan debt. I am currently on an IBR due to my low salary.  I was able to use my monthly IBR payment to be caluclated into my DTI. So if you can qualify for a conventional loan you should ask about it!  Good luck!!!

Yes, this is true ^^^ Fannie Mae recently (2017) changed their guidelines to allow the IBR payments as long as that is what shows on your credit report.  FHA requires the 1% calculation still.  For those with high student loan debt, it pays for you to get on the IBR payment plan before you make application for a mortgage.  Congrats pecanpie!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.