Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Equity Loan

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Home Equity Loan

We've wanted to get a few things done around the house and consolidate some CC debt. After looking around, we decided to apply at Discover for a home equity loan due to a lower rate history and no closing costs. The last tax bill gave a home value of $180K (although, according to a local realtor, we could easily get twice that!), and we applied for $110K, for 30 years. We both got HPs on all three CRAs and pre-approval for the amount we asked for. My husband and I are co-borrowers, but he's listed first as the main one because he's got a better credit score than me. They gave him an EQ mortgage score of 730 and a EX Fico 8 of 684 for me. We had a little difficulty with some of the paperwork since he works for a small business and doesn't get a regular pay stub. We finally got everything they asked for sent to them and got a confirmation email on 9/1 that everything was in and they'll let us know after the documents are reviewed. Unless the reviewers find some glaring discrepancies between what we listed and the paperwork we sent in, our "personal banker" was confident we'd be formally approved. 

A few notes:

- The representative made note that we hadn't sought out credit in the last year and then specially asked if we planned to apply for new credit in the next 60 days.

- We have no intention to take 30 years to pay the loan off. We plan to pay $200-$500 extra each month towards principal, to cut the time and interest down. At the most it will take 15 years, to 9/10 years at the latest, based on my calculations. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Home Equity Loan

Yay you!

I hope that the rest of it goes well for you.  Please keep us updated!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 54
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's great news Adkins, hope you get a good rate.

Message 3 of 54
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

Great.  Know y'all are anxious to get the improvements started.  Had our kitchen redone about 3 1/2 years ago and it still feels like a breath of fresh air to go in there.

Message 4 of 54
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Yay you!

I hope that the rest of it goes well for you.  Please keep us updated!

Thanks! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 54
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

That's great news Adkins, hope you get a good rate.

Thanks! We got 4.49%, a little bit above the best they offer at 3.99%. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 54
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

Great.  Know y'all are anxious to get the improvements started.  Had our kitchen redone about 3 1/2 years ago and it still feels like a breath of fresh air to go in there.

Unfortunately, even once it funds we are going to hold off for a bit until lumber prices come down some more. 🙄

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 54
calyx
Super Contributor

Congrats on the success, @Adkins !

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 54
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@calyx wrote:

Congrats on the success, @Adkins !

Thanks!! 😃

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 54
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

And things are held up because of the DH's job. Since his boss doesn't list year to date pay and deduction totals on the DHs' checks, we are having to wait for his boss to send in work verification paperwork. (We did get the numbers sent in but his boss hand wrote part of the information and Discover wouldn't take it. 🤦🤦).  

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.