cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Owners and Flood prior to underwriting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Owners and Flood prior to underwriting?

I thought I had to get quotes for underwriting and show proof of coverage when at closing?  I'm going USDA does this make a difference?  Insurance company states they won't issue policy unless it is 10 days prior to closing due to billing requirements and don't understand why lender would require this as I would be paying insurance on a property I don't have a vested interest in yet. 

Anyone here this?  Waiting on my clear to close thought the file went to UW last week and we were waiting on USDA, now find out it hasn't even been sent yet and still has to go to USDA.  Plus I still have to get a new well installed and an electrial panel upgrade before March 31st.

SIGH Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Home Owners and Flood prior to underwriting?

Different lenders need to verify it at different stages - here in California it's common for lenders to not need the actual evidence of insurance until closing, but still want to know how much the premium will be prior to closing (for debt to income calculation purposes) and will just accept a quote for that.  However in other states (primarily those east of the Rocky Mountains) the evidence of insurance is a prior to final documents requirement like an appraisal, title report, W-2's, etc.

Are you working with a smaller insurance company?  Perhaps one that brokers out the insurance to a bigger company?

This problem often happens with those types of company's since they aren't the one providing the policy, when they request it for some odd reason going back and changing effective dates, or actually getting a copy of the policy is a royal PITA.  Often they won't even provide any evidence of insurance until closing, and will just provide a binder until then, which lenders can't accept.  Or to provide evidence of insurance they require the premium be paid upfront, prior to closing.

Almost all of the major insurance companies don't have issues with this, and can provide evidence of insurance within a day or two of you submitting your insurance application and without receiving upfront payment.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.