Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HomeReady Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HomeReady Loan

Has anyone had any experience with this loan?  It would be perfect for my family situation but i can't seem to find a mortgage broker/lender that services this program.

https://www.fanniemae.com/singlefamily/homeready

Thanks...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: HomeReady Loan

Since this is relatively new, some LOs will need to be educated.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Any idea once a new program is implemented how long it takes LOs to get caught up to speed?

Message 3 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Any idea once a new program is implemented how long it takes LOs to get caught up to speed?

Not every lender has access to every loan.

Find a lender that is offering the loan first. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Not every lender has access to every loan.

Find a lender that is offering the loan first. 

And that's the problem. I have been all over the internet searching for a lender offering the loan.  This loan is like Santa Claus, to good to be true.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the catch with this loan?  It sounds to good to be true.

Message 6 of 10
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with this loan?  It would be perfect for my family situation but i can't seem to find a mortgage broker/lender that services this program.

Thanks...

Hi DiGgZz,

The Fannie Mae Home Ready program isn't really new. It's actually the old My Community Mortgage program with a new name and couple of guideline updates.

This is a fantastic loan program if you qualify under the income limits.

Feel free to pm me for info or help.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VALoanMaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks...

Hi DiGgZz,

The Fannie Mae Home Ready program isn't really new. It's actually the old My Community Mortgage program with a new name and couple of guideline updates.

Actually, this is something I'm wondering about, too. I contacted our lender, and they told me that they would rather us stick with the standard Fannie Mae with 5% due to pmi rates being lower with the standard, and also having to complete counseling course. I thought we would have to complete the course anyways if we were buying a Homepath home and wanted to get the 3% in closing costs. Do you have any insight into that?  From what I've been reading, I thought the HomeReady looked like a better option, but apparently the lender doesn't think so. I'll call them later to see why. Thanks! 

Message 8 of 10
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@VALoanMaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks...

Hi DiGgZz,

Actually, this is something I'm wondering about, too. I contacted our lender, and they told me that they would rather us stick with the standard Fannie Mae with 5% due to pmi rates being lower with the standard, and also having to complete counseling course. I thought we would have to complete the course anyways if we were buying a Homepath home and wanted to get the 3% in closing costs. Do you have any insight into that?  From what I've been reading, I thought the HomeReady looked like a better option, but apparently the lender doesn't think so. I'll call them later to see why. Thanks! 

Hi jmhoops,

That's interesting considering the whole point behind the Home Ready program is to make home ownership affordable to moderate income borrowers. The PMI coverage required is lower & they eliminate a lot of the rate hits so the rate is usually lower compared to a standard conventional loan. Genrally if a lender isn't very familar with a program they will try & talk you out of it even if it's a better option for you.

Feel free to PM me for more info or help.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 9 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@VALoanMaster wrote:

Hi jmhoops,

That's interesting considering the whole point behind the Home Ready program is to make home ownership affordable to moderate income borrowers. The PMI coverage required is lower & they eliminate a lot of the rate hits so the rate is usually lower compared to a standard conventional loan. Genrally if a lender isn't very familar with a program they will try & talk you out of it even if it's a better option for you.

Feel free to PM me for more info or help.

^^^This is so true. It is one of the reasons I think people should shop their mortgages.  Instead of saying they don't have a particular program, they trash the program to the prospective borrower!   Or they say the program is something else or has other attributes.

Also, the LO's that aren't helpful blame guidelines when the actual issue is a lender overlay.  We see lots of examples of overlays being called "FHA guidelines" or "Fannie Guidelines" when they aren't and lenders jerking applicants around for many weeks or months because they don't want to do the loan, not because the loan can't be done.

It is similar to the issue by the poster now in this forum where her lender said that she can't do conventional unless her score is 700 (or greater) for a conventional loan and it is well known that it can be done at 680 and cost less than an FHA. It actually can be done at a lower score, but 680 is usually the breakpoint.  So rather than the LO telling her it is a lender overlay, she says it is because of guidelines. 

Or Chase not wanting to do FHA loans but rather than telling you that, they have you make application and turn you down in 30 days!  It is a waste of time, effort and money. 

It is a real shame that the LO's that do this are so prevelant in this business - but not all of them are that way. Find a LO that will work with you and if they can't do it because they don't have that program - admit it to the borrower. Then you know you have an honest LO. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.