Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hope after BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope after BK

Hello. 
Just wanted to share my CH 7 BK journey. 
Filed CH 13 in Sep 2017. Converted to CH7 in March 2018. So I have 2 BK on my credit report. Discharged in June 2018. Applied for over 60 credit cards the first 3 months after discharge. Got a new car from Acura, finances through Cap One after I burned them. Opened up a savings with Penfed and just kept putting money in there. The 1 year mark after BK applied for more CC and have over 80 inquiries. 
Fast forward to today. I am 28 days for discharge. I applied for a VA loan this week. Got a manual underwrite for $525k in San Diego. Found a house yesterday, got our offer accepted today. $477k. Seller is putting $5k towards closing. Lender is putting $4k lender credit toward closing. Realtor is throwing in $2k because he only shows us one house. Best part is I got a locked in rate of 2.75 with 2 BK on my credit report and a credit score that's not even to 700 yet. There is hope for you all. Every persons profile is different!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
henrikandersen
Established Member

Re: Hope after BK

Congrats, which lender did you use?

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freedom Mortgage. Message me if you want lenders info!!!

Message 3 of 16
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Congratulations my fellow Vet!

Perseverance, dedication, and tenacity are some good words to describe you. I've been a Loan Officer for over 30 years and can't tell you how few people out there, know what you learned through this process. Great job! BTW, if you allow the LO to repull your credit after the 24th month mark after your discharge, most likely you will get an AUS Approve/Eligible, and won't have to be downgraded to a manual. Most lenders like my company, have reduced conditions and better pricing and lower rates with an AUS approval. Just a thought.

For those good folks who may stumble on this thread later on, hopefully this member's story will inspire you. If you filed a Bankruptcy either Chapter 13 or Chapter 7, you can become a homeowner!

After a BK Chapter 7 depending on the loan program, the waiting can very. Here is a quick rundown.

• NonQM / Portfolio – 1 day after BK, Short Sale, Foreclosure. These loans are 100% credit score driven. They do have higher rates and fees and down payment requirements. These programs can be viable way to enter the housing market as long as you have an exit strategy. Due to the CORVID-19 pandemic, many of these programs have been temporarily suspended, but there are still some available.
  • VA – 2 years unless you had an extenuating circumstance like a death in the immediate family or a serious illness, then the waiting period is reduced to 1 year. Under the extenuating circumstances waiver, you will need to provide appropriate documentation to support your hardship.
  • FHA – 2 years unless you had an extenuating circumstance like a death in the immediate family or a serious illness, then the waiting period is reduced to 1 year. Under the extenuating circumstances waiver, you will need to provide appropriate documentation to support your hardship.
  • USDA Rural Development Loan – 3 years, unless you had an extenuating circumstance like a death in the immediate family or a serious illness, then the waiting period is reduced to 1 year.
  • Conventional – 4 years, unless you had an extenuating circumstance like a death in the immediate family or a serious illness, then the waiting period is reduced to 2 years

After filing a BK Chapter 13, all government loan programs like FHA, VA and USDA allow for borrowers to finance a home while in an active Bankruptcy Chapter 13 as long as you have made 12 on time payments to the Trustee. Conventional will require 2 years waiting period after your discharge or 4 years after a dismissal. For government loans, you will need to get pre-approved by an experienced Loan Officer who will issue you a Pre-Approval Letter, Loan Application and Fee Sheet. You will then forward that information to your Attorney who will request a motion to incur debt. In most cases, the court will approve your request. The process can take days or a month depending on the court.

NOTE: In the members case, their Chapter 13 was converted to a Chapter 7, so the wait time is 2 years from the Discharge. I hope this help!

Best wishes to all!

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@homeloanexpert - Thank you for your post. I filed chpater 13 on 4/17/20, I'm currently working on my credit reports, my goal is homeownership! Since Covid I know the loan requirements have changed with the lenders... most are requesting  scoreof 640 or better, FHA still shows 580.  I'm aming for 640's across the board for better rates.  I live in South Florida.

Message 5 of 16
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

@Anonymous 

Just make sure you don't miss any payments to the Trustee. You need to show that you have reestablish some credit, most people start with a authorized user card or two by someone with good credit. Then they moved to secured cards.  Make sure you run this by your Attorney. If you open any new accounts, make sure you maintain a perfect payment history. The trick is to pay five days before a statement comes out and don't charge again till they report to the credit bureaus. Try to maintain a balance between 8% - 9% posting on your statement and then to the credit bureaus. Never go over the limit and never let the statement come out at 30% or more utilization.

Best wishes to you

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 6 of 16
nmk94
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for over 60 credit cards the first 3 months after discharge. 

Am I reading this right? 60? Why did you apply for so many credit cards? Were you just getting rejected? Were they all hard inquiries?

1/24 - EX 831 | EQ 830 | TU 824
12/22 - EX 794 | EQ 799 | TU 741
9/20 - EX 726 | EQ 710 | TU 720
8/20 - EX 686 | EQ 678 | TU 675
7/20 - EX 671 | EQ 657 | TU 659
04/20 - EX 649 | EQ 645 | TU 661
11/17 - EX 614 | EQ 626 | TU 612
Goal - EX 750 | EX 750 | TU 750
Message 7 of 16
StarraeAday1
Regular Contributor

@homeloanexpert wrote:

BTW, if you allow the LO to repull your credit after the 24th month mark after your discharge, most likely you will get an AUS Approve/Eligible, and won't have to be downgraded to a manual. Most lenders like my company, have reduced conditions and better pricing and lower rates with an AUS approval. Just a thought.

Thank you for this, it actually helps answer a question I posted recently but couldn't get a clear answer. We applied for FHA pre-approval in March; we were two years out of Ch7 BK in January 2020 and we'll be three years out of a foreclosure in a few weeks. We were given the preapproval with the condition that we couldn't pull an FHA # until after the foreclosure date in June, which was fine. We were downgraded to manual because of this, and I was trying to find out if we have a decent chance of getting an Approve/Eligible if we run it again after that date. It was the only reason given on DU for being downgraded. If we can get an automated approval, we'll be eligible for DPA programs, apparently. 

Foreclosure - June 2017
Ch. 7 BK - Discharged January 2018
6/2020 - EQ 680 | EX 691 | TU 707
Message 8 of 16
Kasuito39
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! What a great story! 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@homeloanexpert  can you advise what lender you work for or lender that would work with my husband and I. We had a shortsale on May 29 2018 and currently my scores are 634, 634, 657 and my husband's are 657, 662, 693, we have funds saved for down payment and have been working on our credit scores the past year. We would like to find a home before our lease is up in May.  We are located in Florida. Thank you 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.