cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

Husband was in an accident and not at fault (lawsuit to recover has begun).  The hospital that did his medical work put a medical lien on him in our county.  He will be the only one on the mortgage application when we decide to pull the trigger (as soon as December of this year).  Will we run into any snags with the lien?  Would the lawsuit for recovery satisfy a lender?   Wondering if I need to get on the attorney to put something in writing or how to tackle it before we decide to pull the mortgage trigger. 

 

TIA!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
New Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

If this was in another country I don’t believe the report could show up on a credit report in America. Is your husband a citizen with a ssn#?
Message 2 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

OP stated county not countRy. County as in county hospital.

 

ETA: Is the lien listed as a collection account or as a public record?


















Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.

Message 3 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.


@Medic981 wrote:

OP stated county not countRy. County as in county hospital.

 

ETA: Is the lien listed as a collection account or as a public record?


It is not a collection and not a judgement.

Message 4 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

Just making sure you said NOT because you used the word Lien in your original post? Did they send the account to Collection or did they go to court and get a Judgement????? Or do you simply owe the Hospital a ton of money and they are waiting while this is worked out with the Insurance companies involved?
A Lien means Court action “Judgement” has happened. Please be specific.
Message 5 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.


@JVille wrote:
Just making sure you said NOT because you used the word Lien in your original post? Did they send the account to Collection or did they go to court and get a Judgement????? Or do you simply owe the Hospital a ton of money and they are waiting while this is worked out with the Insurance companies involved?
A Lien means Court action “Judgement” has happened. Please be specific.

Received a notice from our county that a lien was placed by such and such hospital.  Hospital knows it was


@JVille wrote:
Just making sure you said NOT because you used the word Lien in your original post? Did they send the account to Collection or did they go to court and get a Judgement????? Or do you simply owe the Hospital a ton of money and they are waiting while this is worked out with the Insurance companies involved?
A Lien means Court action “Judgement” has happened. Please be specific.

Received a notice from the county that such and such hospital placed a lien for said amount. 

Message 6 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

Let me quote a tid-bit from the letter...
"This lien does not attach to real propery, but rather to a claim or cause of action against any person responsible for the accident.  It does not create a lien against any piece of real estate or home.  It is not a judement against you."

-So it looks like anything he is awarded from the lawsuit would go towards this- which is the reason for the lawsuit. 

Message 7 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

I believe this may be reflected on the Title Report and cause a Problem. You need to speak with a title company and a title examiner needs to review the recording and see if it will be listed as an Exception on your Title Policy.
If you are already working with a Realtor ask for a referral to her favorite Title person to run this by a Title Examiner. Better to know it’s ok now as opposed to a problem later.
Message 8 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.


@JVille wrote:
I believe this may be reflected on the Title Report and cause a Problem. You need to speak with a title company and a title examiner needs to review the recording and see if it will be listed as an Exception on your Title Policy.
If you are already working with a Realtor ask for a referral to her favorite Title person to run this by a Title Examiner. Better to know it’s ok now as opposed to a problem later.

Excellent advice and exactly what I was looking for as we would rather be prepared ahead of time. Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Lien and getting a mortgage.

Good luck and we would love you to report back so the next person with this type of issue can hear about your experience.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.