cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you bring up credit issues with broker/lender?

tag
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

How did you bring up credit issues with broker/lender?

Maybe this is a weird question, but as I'm thinking about applying (because I found a house I love) I find myself feeling as though I have to explain my situation before I put in an application.

In some ways this makes sense because if a lender knows the UWs won't approve me only 30 months from a FC what's the point in applying and having them pull my credit?

I sent an email to one person at a local bank that basically laid out the positives (income, emploment, low DTI) and the negatives (FC, lates from 2/13, paid judgment) and laid out scores from my own pull and said, "assuming I meed your minimum credit score requirement, and knowing what you know about my "bad" credit, can I submit an application with you?" Said person did not respond. It's probably better to talk in person . . . but honestly, I'd rather get the bad stuff out of the way through email and go from there!

I guess I feel as though I'm asking for a favor and so instead of going in with the, "I'm applying, make it work" attitude, I'm all apologetic. So I'm wondering what your approach was - if your scores are/were low, how did you approach lenders? Am I the only one who feels like this? It's SO very different to the last time I applied, in 2007, when my scores were high 700s and I had a 20% downpayment. Losing my job in 2008 and burning through my savings to pay my mortgage (which obviously didn't work given the FC) was not something I anticipated and now I feel like a criminal asking for a special favor.

Starting Score: 2/2013 EQ 535
Current Score My Fico: 5/23 EQ 808| EX 812 | TU 800
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jexxie
Valued Member

Re: How did you bring up credit issues with broker/lender?

Remember they want to lend you money. Im getting a loan for 80k (so we're not exactly a money maker for the bank) my LO advised us for a whole year on how to qualify.

Work with a bank that just does mortgages and get a recommendation from your realtor. Having them work well together is important. Your LO should be working with you, not looking for the best clients.
Message 2 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

just be up front and honest about the bad stuff from the get go

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Even if they tell you sure, we can approve you based on what you told us ... it ain't worth nothng. If you are serious about buying a house, bite the provebial bullett and let the LO do his thing. You will never know for sure until they pull your credit and look at your income to match up with your liabilities and anthing else that show up on your credit report.

By the way, those scores that YOU pulled? They are meaningless. The lender-pulled scores will be different.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.