cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do inquiries affect FICO mortgage scores?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

How long do inquiries affect FICO mortgage scores?

I would like to confirm that it only affects mortgage scores for 1 year right? Also I'd like to know the FICO credit score minimum needed for ensuring optimal rates for FHA loan or Piggyback loan. I think 740 is the optimal for traditional mortgage and 760 for PMI.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long do inquiries affect FICO mortgage scores?

Hard inquiries remain on your CR for approximately two years, but really only impact your FICO Score for 12 months (don't know about the other models out there). The greatest impact they have is in the first 6 months and subsequently have less of an effect between 6 and 12 months old – however, they still impact the score. The consensus is that there is virtually no impact between 1 and 2 years; nevertheless, it is still on your report.

To me inquiries are like the Stealth Bomber. Sure it is nearly invisible to radar and EDs but a pilot looking out his window can see the monster miles away with his eyeballs. A human underwriter (or report evaluator) can still see inquiries on your report at 18 months or so, and while it may not play into the algorithms, it is still visible to a human evaluator.  My human computer (brain) is happiest when my algorithm (eyeballs) see a number less than one.

Y

Message 2 of 4
me12345
Frequent Contributor

I guess that would depend on the type of inquiry and how many and when they were made...a lot of variables involved.

But ultimately inquiries don't have a big overall impact on scores.

Most FHA rates use 720 as the top tier (A few investors may have a higher threshold)

However, because FHA scores are not FICO driven, even lower scores will still have great rates.

Thanks,

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 3 of 4
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@me12345 wrote:

I guess that would depend on the type of inquiry and how many and when they were made...a lot of variables involved.

But ultimately inquiries don't have a big overall impact on scores.

Most FHA rates use 720 as the top tier (A few investors may have a higher threshold)

However, because FHA scores are not FICO driven, even lower scores will still have great rates.

Thanks,

Which scores are then used?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.