Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a closing take?

tag
TropicalSerenade
Established Member

How long does a closing take?

To those of you who have closed recently or can remember from your closing: How long did the actual closing take?

Both my husband and I, and the sellers have children in school on the day of closing. We asked for a closing in the morning but the seller's pushed for lunch time. I want to make sure we'll have enough time to return to get the kids from the bus. I'm already keeping my son out of school that day since we can't get him to school at the right time (PM 4 year old Kindergarten), I'd keep my daughter home but she's missed so much school to go to the orthodontist!

Starting Score: 631
Current Score: 669 (Ex pull from Discover 5/21/13)
Goal Score: 685

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How long does a closing take?

The closing doesn't take long at all for a normal one.  If it is cash, about 15 minutes.  If you have a mortgage to sign off then allocate about 45 minutes to an hour for the entire closing. Since I'm a Realtor I have been to many, many hundreds of closings. All the issues are to be taken care of prior to the date of signing, the closing itself is short.

I have read stories where people have taken much longer, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Good luck today! Congratulations Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
playboy
Regular Contributor

What Starting10 said.  I closed in late Feb 2013 and it took about 45 mins.  15 mins of that waiting for the closer to get my documents together.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Message 3 of 7
TropicalSerenade
Established Member

Great! Thanks for the info! I just had a friend close on a house this week (not using the same lender) and she took all 3 kids and it took her 2.5 hours so I was starting to worry the time wouldn't work out. 

Message 4 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It is nice to have the kids; however, when you are closing it makes it much more difficult to get it done if they are present in the closing office. Especially if they are young (under 12). It is boring for the kids and distracting for the buyer, the seller and the closer.

If possible, close prior to picking up the children. It will be a much more smooth process for everyone (IME).

Message 5 of 7
TropicalSerenade
Established Member

We tried to work it out so that neither us nor the seller would have to have kids with us but it didn't work out with 3 different school times. Luckily, it is just our 5 year old (who is much better to bring along than our 8 year old who has ADHD and is autistic) that will be at the closing. We don't know anyone in the area so we don't have a baby sitter. Our agent said to bring his Nintendo DS and she'll bring some things (she has 4 kids) and it'll be fine. Our son also went to all 6 houses we looked at while my daughter was at school and was very well behaved. It's the best we can do at this point!

Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Sounds like you have a great alternate plan.

Congratulations on your new home!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.