Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is a file in underwriting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long is a file in underwriting?

My FHA loan was sent to underwriting last Monday 2/6. My loan officer said it usually takes 'a few days'. It's been more than a few days and I'm wondering if no news is good news? I'm waiting on pins and needles!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Re: How long is a file in underwriting?

Typically no news is good news- good luck!

Message 2 of 13
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Each lender has different turntimes.  I wouldn't be too concerned, but you should email your loan officer and ask when the underwriter will complete their review.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the first lender I had do the papers, it was in underwriting one day.  I am now getting a 2nd approval and just went into underwriting yesterday.  We will see how long this one takes.

Message 4 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updated to say that the 2nd lender, my file was in underwriting 1 day.  Now once we get closer to an actual closing I will have to choose.

Message 6 of 13
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Updated to say that the 2nd lender, my file was in underwriting 1 day.  Now once we get closer to an actual closing I will have to choose.

So you have 2 different lenders working on your file? If so you need to cancel one of them right now.

If this is what you're doing it is really not cool. You are wasting the time of a loan officer, processor, set up person, lock desk person & underwriter at minimum & you're costing the lender a ton of money. Lenders pay for a ton of 3rd party services in order to get your loan approved & you are wasting those resources for one of these lenders.

If I were one of the lenders & I found out that this is what you were doing, I would cancel your file on the spot even though it would cost me a commission check.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 7 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@VALoanMaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So you have 2 different lenders working on your file? If so you need to cancel one of them right now.

If this is what you're doing it is really not cool. You are wasting the time of a loan officer, processor, set up person, lock desk person & underwriter at minimum & you're costing the lender a ton of money. Lenders pay for a ton of 3rd party services in order to get your loan approved & you are wasting those resources for one of these lenders.

If I were one of the lenders & I found out that this is what you were doing, I would cancel your file on the spot even though it would cost me a commission check.

^^^^

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was actually SUGGESTED I do that.  Why would I just pay the first person that gave me disclosures on closing costs?  Both are preferred lenders of the builder. 

As an example lender 2's closing costs came in almost 3 thousand dollars less, and the 1st lender WAY UNDERSHOT the MIP per month which FHA would never be at, which was something that was blatantly incorrect (and I saw as trying to make the monthly payment look better).

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.