cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long of a wait before a refi when going from contract work to W2?

tag
dragontears
Senior Contributor

How long of a wait before a refi when going from contract work to W2?

This is for a co-worker/freind of mine.

Her and her husband bought a house almost 2 years ago, at that time their lender would not count her income since she was a contract employee (it was actually quite a nightmare for them since the lender prequalified them using her income and assure them there would be no issues with it, then after they went to underwriting it turned out her income couldn't be used so they had to scramble to find a way to buy the house). They had to get her parents to cosign the loan in order to buy. Recently, my company hired her as a full time, regular W2 employee in the same job position as she has been in during the last 2 years. They would love to refi their house to remove her parent's name from the mortgage (and possible remove PMI since housing prices have been skyrocketing around here) but don't know how long she needs to be a W2 employee before a lender will count her income.

So the question is how long do they have to wait before applying for a refi?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long of a wait before a refi when going from contract work to W2?

If she has a two-year work history and guaranteed rate of pay at the new job, she should be able to use that income to qualify immediately. 

Message 2 of 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: How long of a wait before a refi when going from contract work to W2?

I agree, I'd think she would be able to use that now.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.