cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to get dispute comments removed?

tag
qd
Regular Contributor

How long to get dispute comments removed?

I am trying to get mortgage with a lender, but needed to get dispute comments removed.  I called TU and after transferring to a manager was able to get two dispute comments deleted immediately.  I called EQ and EX but had no such luck.  They insisted they could not delete, but instead opened new disputes to dispute the dispute comments they said.  They told me it could be gone in 24 hours, but could take 72 hours...but then also added that technically they have 30 days. 

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this recently and how long did it actually take before the dispute comments were removed from your reports?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: How long to get dispute comments removed?

i advise my people to hang up and call back if they dont get immediate response like tu gave you.

disputing a dispute CAN take the 30 days.

do you monitor the credit?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 7
qd
Regular Contributor

The first person I spoke with at TU absolutely refused to do anything other than open a new dispute and did not want to transfer me to manager.  Once I got the manager, he took care of it immediately.  Experian actually updated the dispute status already a couple hours after calling them and said the account was 'updated'.  I am hoping that means deleted.

I do monitor my reports daily and will be pulling new report this afternoon to confirm what is gone and what is still there. 

I imagine I'll wait a day or two then if not resolved give them a call back and not hang up until it is resolved.  I should have done that the first time I called I guess...lesson learned.

Message 3 of 7
Marylen

I called TU for my husband & I's report.  They both were taken off in 24 hours.  It lowered our scores.  My husbands went down over 30 points but a week later they went back up.

Message 4 of 7
qd
Regular Contributor

Wow...I didn't know score would change due to dispute comments.  There was no active dispute going on with my accounts...just the dispute comments left behind by original creditor. 

@Marylen wrote:

I called TU for my husband & I's report.  They both were taken off in 24 hours.  It lowered our scores.  My husbands went down over 30 points but a week later they went back up.

Message 5 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@qd wrote:

Wow...I didn't know score would change due to dispute comments.  There was no active dispute going on with my accounts...just the dispute comments left behind by original creditor. 

@Marylen wrote:

It isn't supposed to lower the scores.....  unless the accounts were still coded as 'in dispute'

I have had countless people remove dispute comments and had zero change to scores.

the reason someone might experience a score drop is because if an avccount is in dispute, it is supposed to be excluded from scoring.

a lot of people know this and were scamming the system by disputing baddies before applying for their loan.

lenders now know this and require disputes be resolved and require the comments to be removed. We want the comments to be removed for 2 reasons...

1. sometimes we cant tell if it is just a comment or currently disputed.

2. our loan software flags the dispute comments.... for the same reason as in #1

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 7
qd
Regular Contributor

Thanks for clarifying that.  My comments just that...comments.  There is no active dispute going on at this time.  I've waited this long before applying for a mortgage, a few more days (hopefully) won't kill me.  Who knows...maybe my mid score will go from 699 to 700 when they run my report again in a week or so.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.