Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many tradelines should I have?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many tradelines should I have?

I am looking to purchase a home in a year. I have a car payment that I know I need to be on time with for a year it is late right now but I will be getting it current in January I have no other credit.  How many and what types of credit should I get?  I know I need to diversify my credit report as well as get the baddies off.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How many tradelines should I have?

Yes, you need to have a healthy CR, that means adding positive TLs while removing the baddies.  You should look at getting a secured card or two to add to the mix.   Revolving credit factors in about 35% of your score, so definitely a need.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I have spoken to many loan officers (because I'm a Realtor) and I get different answers to that question. Some of the loan officers I speak with say there is no specified minimum number of tradelines. Others say 3 to 4 tradelines. I assume the difference comes down to which loan guidelines the funding lender is using.

Message 3 of 4
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

4 one year old trade lines to be safe, an auto and 3 credit cards would work.

Conventional with PMI you will need 3 - 4 depending with company you use.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.