Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much House Should I be looking for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much House Should I be looking for?

Alright Ive been on the hunt for a house the past month. I'm not going to actually start the process till November after I'm married though, only because of all the money I need for the wedding. Which leads me here. I dont want to get pre-approved to just wait another six months, and in the mean time just letting my credit get better.

I'm only buying the house based off my income and credit.

Gross Income- $33,000 roughly

Credit Score- 747

3 Car loans Paid off

All Debt Paid off besides regular credit card usages for every month, but less than 3% usage every month

If someone who is involved in the mortgage or loans can maybe give me an idea of the price range I should be looking at, I would greatly appreciate it

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: How much House Should I be looking for?

The simple rule of thumb is to buy a house that is 2.5-3 times your income.  Example:  33k/yr income = $75k - $99k home price.  In your situation though, will you new wife be working and if so, will you be including her income?  This will be a determining factor on how much you can be approved for.  I wouldn't apply until you're close to being ready to buy as your situation (and the housing market) will change.  Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 2 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Is $33k/year your salary?

Whereabouts are you looking to buy? 

How much of a down payment were you looking to put down?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 6
ficofox
Regular Contributor

There is also another formula that is often used to calculate how much you can afford per month (e.g., what mortgage payment you can comfortably carry).

Gross Income X .28/12

$33,000*28%/12 months = $770.00 monthly mortgage payment

Then, your credit score and other factors will determine your loan finance rate. Depending on the finance rate you qualify for and the length of mortgage you wish to carry, this will determine the principal amount of the loan.

Depending on how you run the numbers, there can be a fairly broad range of home prices you could shop for. For example, for a 15 year fixed rate mortgage at an extremely low rate of 3.75%, you could possibly swing nearly a $120K loan. Assuming you've saved 20% down, your house price could be around $150K. You could shop for homes ranging all the way up to $175K, with room for negotations. 

For a 30 year fixed rate mortgage, though, you could still keep your payment around $770-$850 house payments but afford a much higher principal. Just know that the total interest you'll pay over the life of the loan will be much steeper. You'll pay around $40,000 in interest for $120,000/15 years and $130,000 interest for $200,000/30 years. Each will have nearly similar monthly payments, but in one case, you'll end up paying almost $100,000 extra in interest over time.

So, you can see that how much house you can afford will largely depend on the loan terms you qualify for and the duration of the mortgage that you want.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I set mine (rent payment) at 24%. This seems to be an easy amount for me to manage/save and have some useful cash flow.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The simple rule, of thumb is to buy a house that is 2.5-3 times your income.  Example:  33k / year income = $71k - $96k home price.  In your situation though, will you new wife be working and if so  will you be including her income?  This will be a determining factor, on how much you can be approved for.  

http://www.viewallazhomes.com/173520-Phoenix-AZ-RESCity.aspx

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.