Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much did you SAVE?

tag
jadeite788
Established Contributor

How much did you SAVE?

Before purchasing your new home.  Was this just downpayment and closing costs or did you figure in renovations/appliances/furniture?

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
deg757
Regular Contributor

Re: How much did you SAVE?

We saved up and had enough for the downpayment, sellers paid closing. We had 2 months of reserves after closing and I could have easily blown it all the first weekend we moved in. We definitely didn't have enough saved. Because we were living with my parents before we bought our house, I had to totally stock the kitchen with basics that I didn't even consider. My trip to Target/grocery store the first time was $600. It gets expensive when you need cleaning supplies and spices and trash bags and stuff like that when you don't even think about stuff like that. All I had planned for was a trip to the grocery store which usually runs us around $200 and lasts a few weeks. Big shock to my system. My unsolicited advice, save more.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 2 of 43
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I am just starting and am in underwriting for a new build.  I have the down payment and closing costs saved, as well as the cost for the fridge, washer and dryer, which aren't included am I am estimating high on them since I will probably splurge on these items, plus a little extra.  I plan on saving as much as I can between now and closing, which should be in December.  I have been renting for years, so I pretty much have everything else I will need (kitchen, bedroom, office, living room).  I am going from a two bedroom to a three bedroom, but the 3rd bedroom is going to be a spare bedroom so I can take my time on furnishing it.  With the security deposit I get back from the place I am currently renting, I plan on buying a lawn mower, ladder and I will add to the basic tools that I currently have.  

My advice is to save more than you think you need.  If you are in the same situation as the first person who responded, you have to completely start over and buy everything, which is very expensive.  If you are like me and have been renting for a while, then you may already have most of what you will need.  

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 3 of 43
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I'm just curious...

In addition to saving for dowm payment and closing costs (and new home furnishings), would you have to save for discount points?  (Are points considerer closing costs?)

I ask because, nowadays it seems that all i see are lenders advertising their rates ONLY with discount points.  There use to be a day (a few years ago) where lenders advertised two options:  mortgages without points, and mortgages with points.

So, if your mortgage has points, would that be something that you must save for, or is that considered part of closing costs (and you would just have to account for that while shopping)?

ETA:  Not sure my question came out the way I wanted it to, but I think you get the idea...more coffee lol Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 43
jadeite788
Established Contributor

I feel like since now I am starting over with the accident.  I have not saved enough.  By August 1, I will barely have 9K saved.  Not sure if this is enough or not?  I know I want new furninture, but I am thinking about re-upholstering the handme down furniture. 

Message 5 of 43
jadeite788
Established Contributor

I am going through Prime Lending, and they have no points, along with the downpayment assistance program.   From what i was told points are considered into the closing costs.

Message 6 of 43
jadeite788
Established Contributor

i totally forgot about the washer/dryer/and fridge.  Most of the houses I have looked at don't even have that.  I am trying to refrain from using credit cards or taking out a personal loan.

Message 7 of 43
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

Discount points and loan origination fees are paid at settlement, they're included in the closing costs.

As for the Mrs and I, we went with a VA loan so did not have a down payment, but we had enough to cover closing costs, replac entire flooring (with new hardwood and carpeting), repainted all rooms, and new washer & dryer.  Even though we rented a 2-br apartment, and thus had some furnishings, we still ended up buying additional furniture (sofas, dining tables, coffee tables, etc).

Message 8 of 43
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

Hoya08, what were your approximate closing costs w/ VA?

Message 9 of 43
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

after reading this i was like WOW there is so much more to save than dp and clc.... We had a long convo about the other stuff and how we need to save more. Thanks for the post

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.