Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much house can one afford?

tag
Te3030
Regular Contributor

How much house can one afford?

Anyone know around about how much of a Mortgage can someone qualify with a FHA loan and gross yearly employment income around $50-$55k. No other debt, only other expenses would be utilities. Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

Re: How much house can one afford?

depends on your tax,insurance rate

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Without doin any hard math I'm gonna say about 200k?

Message 3 of 9
Te3030
Regular Contributor

Loan officer told me between $150k-$200k just over the phone when I gave the same info as in this thread. Broad range so I was wondering if others had any input. My rent just went up to $1350, from $1250 & I'm tired of throwing money away and would like a mortgage around $1250 or less. Plan to put 5% down payment on a FHA loan, taxes in the city I want to buy are around $2500-$3000 a year.

I've been renting the same home for 5yrs, time has flown by so fast, never intended to throw so much money away. Thinking of asking owners if they are interested in selling prior to looking for another home. Homes in this sub seem to go around $170k-$215k, but my rental has no updates and would need several things replaced/updated. 

Message 4 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Te3030 wrote:

Anyone know around about how much of a Mortgage can someone qualify with a FHA loan and gross yearly employment income around $50-$55k. No other debt, only other expenses would be utilities. Thanks!

$55k annually is about $4,600 monthly

0.38 x 4600 = 1,748 [amount of non-housing debt you can have] ... you're good there.

0.45 x 4600 = 2,070 monthly PITI payment for qualification purposes.... you look good there.

at $7/$1,000 mortgage, you should qualify for $250k to $300k of mortgage.

Do you have a 3.5% min down payment?

Do you have $6,000 or mort of savings AFTER you close on the house [reserves]?

Is you mid score 600 or higher?

Some things to think about.

Message 5 of 9
Te3030
Regular Contributor

Re: How much house can one afford?o

@ezdriver wrote:

@Te3030 wrote:

$55k annually is about $4,600 monthly

0.38 x 4600 = 1,748 [amount of non-housing debt you can have] ... you're good there.

0.45 x 4600 = 2,070 monthly PITI payment for qualification purposes.... you look good there.

at $7/$1,000 mortgage, you should qualify for $250k to $300k of mortgage.

Do you have a 3.5% min down payment?

Do you have $6,000 or mort of savings AFTER you close on the house [reserves]?

Is you mid score 600 or higher?

Some things to think about.

I do plan to put down 3.5% or 5%, could do either. Not planning to start the loan process until this Sept or Oct and by then I should have more money in savings, I do have my down payment now. Fico's are mid 600's to almost 700, I don't know mortgage scores though. Thank you!

Message 6 of 9
mamatried
Contributor

If you can qualify for conventional with 5% down, that may be better than 3.5% FHA to save on PMI down the road if it's a long term purchase.

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Do-I-qualify-for-a-mortgage-Info-that-is-needed/td-p/...

we would need to know what the property tax rates are.

and a total of all other debt pmts

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, definitley depends on your taxes & insurance!  That takes up half of my mtg pymt!  And also HOA"S if applicable.  I know most of the calculators out there have taxes & insurance very low.  Not the case where I live.  So it made a whopping difference. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.