Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much left over to be comfy?

tag
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

How much left over to be comfy?

I know this will vary a lot from person to person as well as income to income. But, how much money are you comfortable with after paying all bills?

For this question, these are what I consider all bills : mortgage, all utilities, groceries, gas, car notes, entertainment money, insurance, etc. Basically all normal bills and such. Also assume that 401k and insurance come out before taxes.

So how much are you comfortable with having at the end of each month after all bills are paid?

Jessica
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: How much left over to be comfy?

Enough so that im saving something.

Message 2 of 7
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

For me after all of my bills I like to be able to save #300 a month and have $200 per paycheck in pocket to play with which is $400 a month.  So i guess to answer you question I like about $700 a month after all my bills are paid 

Message 3 of 7
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Assuming  you're including "entertainment expenses" in with montly bills...which I guess would include walking around money, as well as restaurant expenses, movies, etc, I'm comfortable with $500 left over. Right now, we're at about a $1300 surplus, which will shrink to about $900 once we close on our house. 

Message 4 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

After the mortgage, bills, childcare expenses, student loans, gas, food, entertainment and 2 car payments. We have about 2k left over every month that isnt included in our spending budget.

So that works out to be 1000 extra between paychecks. We find ways to blow it every month it seems lol

So pretty much, after my Wife and I split it all. It only gives us 250 bucks a person a week to spend on whatever we need.

Message 5 of 7
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

After the mortgage, bills, childcare expenses, student loans, gas, food, entertainment and 2 car payments. We have about 2k left over every month that isnt included in our spending budget.

So that works out to be 1000 extra between paychecks. We find ways to blow it every month it seems lol

I'm sure owning a home will do that to you man! Hahaha! Gotta keep a tight leash on expenses, especially for the first two months after move-in. I'm already wanting EVERYTHING!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 6 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Well this isnt our first home, we owned our first home for a good 10 years.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.