Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon after closing on mortgage....

tag
rbizzle
Contributor

How soon after closing on mortgage....

how soon after closing on mortgage should one apply for new credit.  We are closing on a home at the end of the month & it does not have a washer & dryer. So we will need to purchase one since this is our first home.  The builder apparently doesn't put them in on the model that we purchase.  Any thoughts? Advice?  I'm just afraid that if we go out the next day after closing and apply for credit something will happen.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How soon after closing on mortgage....

Once everything is signed and the house is yours you can go crazy apping.  

Message 2 of 5
ams
Established Member

I closed on a Friday afternoon...went to Lowe's that same night and opened a store account to purchase a refrigerator, blinds and some other much need items for the new house. Then applied the next day for the Citi Simplicity card to take advantage of the 0% interest for 21 months. Didn't have any problems.

Message 3 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I would wait until the loan is FUNDED and RECORDED - which occurs after closing.

in 2001 we went through closing and had the keys.  The next morning when they went to fund the loan, a judgment appeared for my husband's child support (Even though he had been making reg. payments for years, there were arrears).

Needless to say, no house.  We had already had new appliances delivered and we had to get them returned.  A nightmare.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

how did they take the keys back after closing??

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.