cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon can I start looking for a home FHA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon can I start looking for a home FHA?

Chapter 7 was discharged on 7/2019. How soon can I look for a mortgage loan in 2021. 

Trying to see if it would be a good idea to re sign my apartment lesse in May 2021 or should I not and move in with in laws or parents until we find something. 

Can the loan office tell us if we have a chance to qualify even before our 2 years are up?

TIA 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How soon can I start looking for a home FHA?

@Anonymous wrote:

Chapter 7 was discharged on 7/2019. How soon can I look for a mortgage loan in 2021. 

Trying to see if it would be a good idea to re sign my apartment lesse in May 2021 or should I not and move in with in laws or parents until we find something. 

Can the loan office tell us if we have a chance to qualify even before our 2 years are up?

TIA 

Yes, you definitely can ask your lender. 

This is what I found Googling:

You are eligible for an FHA loan after Chapter 7 two years after discharge (the court order that releases you from liability for the debts included in the bankruptcy). During those two years, you must have re-established good credit and avoided taking on additional debt.

Waiting period
It's possible to qualify for an FHA loan aftera bankruptcy filing. Depending on the circumstances, there might be a waiting period of 12 months to two years from the discharge date. After that period of time, an eligible borrower could get an FHA-insured mortgage loan to buy a house.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 3
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Re: How soon can I start looking for a home FHA?

This is a pretty common question. Most people are just chomping at the bit to get started after their Chapter 7 has Discharged and they know the 2-year waiting period is approaching. The truth is, I tell all my clients It's never too early to start the process of preparing for a home loan. For sure I tell them to start the process at least 90 days prior to wanting to apply for a home loan.

In your case, the Lender cannot request the FHA case number prior to that 2-year anniversary of the discharge.  But there are some things credit wise you should be doing now to prepare for prior to applying. For example, you want to make sure all your debts listed in your schedules 0f creditors and that were discharged, show no outstanding balances. Once you be BK is discharged, all your balances should be swept clean.

If there are debts that still show with the balances (that were included in your BK) this can definitely lower your score so you'll need to send in your bankruptcy petition w/ schedules along with the final discharge to all three credit bureaus and requested they purge your file. Hopefully over the last several months you have started the process of rebuilding your credit. If you have not you need to start that process immediately.

There are a number of secured credit cards that will accept an applicant with a prior bankruptcy. Whether or not you should extend your lease or move in with a family member, that would be your decision. Your loan application will look stronger with a history of paying rent, on time, over the most recent 12 months prior to your loan application.  But FHA will allow no recent rental rating providing you are living with a family member rent free.

But if you can swing it and move in with a family, that would allow you to save your money and work on your credit. Make sure you hook up with a good experienced loan officer to walk you through this process. I hope this helps!

Best wishes to you

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.