cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle utilities?

tag
mgm4g5

How to handle utilities?

Hi all! I'll be closing this Wednesday on a home, but will still be living in my condo until June 1st. When should I be calling up the utility companies to get everything transferred over? Today? Tomorrow? Wednesday?

Do I just call them up and tell them I'll need the bill to go to me now? Do you think they'd pull a credit check on me since I'm now trying to have utilities going on TWO properties at once?

Just trying to get some advice on how to proceed... This is my first time buying a house!

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: How to handle utilities?

Well, the way I've always done it is that you simply ask them to transfer your service from one place to another on the day you're going to move in.  If you're moving out of a an apartment or something like it, usually, the utilities will then transfer back to the owner of the property at that time.  That's the way it's always worked for me...and I've never had a credit check from anyone but Verizon when i signed up for Fios last summer. 

You can call them today and verify with them.

Message 2 of 4
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I called the week before we closed and had them transfered over the day we closed, but I did keep the power on at my apartment till we moved out. I will be getting to electric bills this month.

Message 3 of 4
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You have to have all utilities transferred over in your name the day after you close, not the day that you move in. The water bill is usually handled by the title company but everything else (heat/electricity) is your responsibility.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.