cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husband from another country-has two last names, problems when applying for loan?- lengthy :/

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Husband from another country-has two last names, problems when applying for loan?- lengthy :/

My husband is from Mexico. His birthcertificate reads (Im not going to put his real name- this is an example) Omar Canales Arias. In Mexico, the fathers last name goes in the middle and the mothers maiden name goes at the end. So, Canales is his fathers last name and Arias is his mother last name. Here in the US, his name would be Omar Canales. Now, He has been a resdient of the US for 13+ years. Never had an issue with last name until this year. We filled for taxes and it would not electronically take his name as Omar Canales (which is his fathers last name). My husband called the IRS and they told him he needs to submit as Omar Arias (his mothers last name). So we did this so we could submit taxes. He went to the social security office and they told him they are going to submit him a new social security card that will have 2 lines. The above line will have both last names and the bottom line will be his first. The bank, has him as Canales, his job has him as Canales.. This is starting to get stressful as I am trying to get everything in order for when we apply for a loan. His credit cards show Canales so his creditkarma and everything to check/verify credit is Canales but his resident card and drivers license show Canales Arias.. Will this be a problem when applying for a loan? Is this something that loan officers see often from ppl that come from other countires? Im sure this will not be in our favor :/

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Husband from another country-has two last names, problems when applying for loan?- lengthy :/

Talk to a lender. I don't personally see an issue as your statement makes practical sense. With this little wribkle, work with an experienced lender(not a broker) so they are crystal clear on whats happening so there aren't any surprises with closing
Message 2 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Husband from another country-has two last names, problems when applying for loan?- lengthy :/

Signing an affidavit is all it takes to reconcile the different names. 

Message 3 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

new social security card was a good move.

makes it look more believable.

we see name variations all of the time with women who use hubby name and still have business in maiden name.

i see this very much the same.
Then we deal with hyphenated names too!!!! 

bottom line: we WILL get to the bottom of it.

credit report likely contains both names..... one name and then an alias.

that helps too.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 5
Martis
New Contributor

dont you worry. I am in the same situation two last names. On my credit report I will have 30 alias name. Right one, 2nd last name first, 1st last name second, "-"between the two last names, "_" between two last names, one word containing both last names, just 1st last name, just 2nd last name, etc. Smiley Very Happy

Years ago I was purchasing the credit reports and trying to report errors on the file for each name that was not correct, but I gave up.  Dont you worry....you will be fine.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.