Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question

tag
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

I have a question

What do mortgage lenders use as your income --- What your gross income on your income tax return, or your adjusted gross income? I was just wondering because my income before the adjustment is $130,000. Afterwards, it is around $117,000. 

Again thanks to all who take the time to respond.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: I have a question

@Cjaysmom wrote:

What do mortgage lenders use as your income --- What your gross income on your income tax return, or your adjusted gross income? I was just wondering because my income before the adjustment is $130,000. Afterwards, it is around $117,000. 

They use your AGI 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 7
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Cjaysmom wrote:

They use your AGI 

Thank you for your response.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve don’t think they look at adjusted gross unless you are writing off certain things. They use w2 income but also ask for tax returns to make sure you aren’t adjusting.
Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve don’t think they look at adjusted gross unless you are writing off certain things. They use w2 income but also ask for tax returns to make sure you aren’t adjusting.

W2 gross income as I understand it: namely one can always reduce 401k distributions which is basically the difference typically between the two lines for most people... deductions typically fall out after that.

When it comes to self-employed then yeah, it's net income and that's where people typically run into problem deducting too much (from a mortgage DTI perspective anyway).

        
Message 5 of 7
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

On my W2, there is the medicare eages and then there is the wages, tips, other.  The medicare wages is $130,000. The wages, tips is $117,000. I am not self employed and have been employed at the same job for 27 years.

Message 6 of 7
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

And the difference between the two amounts is money taken out for retirement fund.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.