cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I knew this would be stressful, but Im starting to worry....

tag
REALISTICLYSPEAKING2014
New Contributor

I knew this would be stressful, but Im starting to worry....

Happy New year!!!!

I was preapproved thru NFCU for 200,000 in October - Spent the last 3 months looking, and finally put in a firm offer on a totally remodeled cozy dream home! Going thru inspection, PASSED! BUT The appraisal came in almost 32,000 less that the offer I had placed (they were asking $169,900, but I offered and they accepted $172,000 with seller paying 3000 to closing costs. Now we are appealing the appraisal and the seller has decided to get his own appraisal in the meantime. They offered to lower the price to $150,000 which is better for me in the long run but the bank will only finance the 140,000 amount as of right now. I understand the appeal can take up to 10 days which puts me right to my anticipated close date!

I am supposed to close Jan 19th! I can literally scrape up the addl $5,000, ( I have already given 5,000 ernest deposit) and of course Im pretty sure I will have to play closing, but I dont want to lose this house over 5,000.00! Houses in my area (South florida) are hard to come by and I am totally in love with this home and it is the area I want to be in!

Anyone experience such a drastic apprasial amount? I would gladly pay the $172,000 for it and I dont think the appraisal was fair to be honest. Its hard to establish comps in the area since the house has been totally upgraded from top to bottom.  Since I have a verbal offer to lower to 150,000, what happens if the sellers appraisal comes in higher? Will the appeal to the first apprails be insulting?  I am already out of pocket for the appraisal as well as the inspection and would HATE to lose this home I have worked so hard on buying.

Thoughts, advice and suggestions welcome!

Myfico scores 1.9.15 EQ 657 EX 688 TU 700
NFCU Plat Visa 15,000 | NFCU Cash rewards 15,000 | Lowes 7500 | Fingerhut 1100 | Amazon Store Card 1,500 | Discover IT 1300 | CAP 1 Qsilver 1300 | JC Pennys 1500 | Dressbarn 1100 | Walmart 2500 | Kays Jewelers 500} Mattress One 4500 \ Ashley Furniture 1500 \ American Home Furnishing 2000
Loans:
NFCU Auto 30,000 | NFCU Nav check 15,000 | NFCU Debt Cons 4100 |

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: I knew this would be stressful, but Im starting to worry....

Well, you have 2 options. Adjust the contract to the new sales price and pay the additional 5k + closing.

Or walking away.

This has happened before and generally the buyer asks the seller to drop the price to the new appraised value. At that point they do or the buyer is under the same situation you are in.

As you said, value is hard to determine at this point. This is not unique to just you and your appraiser it is also the same situation that the seller is in. Just because the owner dumped 100k into a home in a neighborhood with home values at say 60k doesn't make the home worth 160k.

The Seller is in a situation here, the next appraisal may very well come back the same or very close with another appraiser (and buyer) this is why most would come down if your earnest money is refundable.

Don't fall in love with the property yet, negotiate with your head in this situation not your heart. You may end up getting great value here.

Good luck!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 19
REALISTICLYSPEAKING2014
New Contributor

Thanks for your input!

This is house #4 which I have submitted an offer -  My biggest concern is the sellers appraisal - Do you believe it will come in higher than the banks oroginal appraisal and if so, would the bank reconsider the 2nd appraisal if it should come in higher? I really only need it to come up 5,000 to save me from coming out of pocket with the balance. Im also wondering if and why the 2 appraisals wouldnt be apples to apples? I know the seller is disappointed as well, and I know they didnt put 100K into upgrades and because it is public records, I know what they originally paid for the house. I still think the 140,000 is a fair offer and I know the bank is just looking out for my best interest as well as theirs.

Hard not to fall in love when it is such a dream of mine. Just has me on edge because if I have to walk, I am out $1000.00 and I also took a hardship from my 401k which Im not sure if this contract falls thru what will happen to that money? I havent mentioned anything to my plan administrator in fear they will pull the monies needed back from me if the sale doesnt go thru. The other issue is that my preapproval is only good until the 15th of january and I will have to go thru all of this all over again.

Sigh.....

NFCU Plat Visa 15,000 | NFCU Cash rewards 15,000 | Lowes 7500 | Fingerhut 1100 | Amazon Store Card 1,500 | Discover IT 1300 | CAP 1 Qsilver 1300 | JC Pennys 1500 | Dressbarn 1100 | Walmart 2500 | Kays Jewelers 500} Mattress One 4500 \ Ashley Furniture 1500 \ American Home Furnishing 2000
Loans:

Message 3 of 19
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I'm sure there will be some variation don't think it would be too significant though. If the bank required you use that appraiser then I'm not sure they would accept another best to ask the LO.

Have you tried to get the seller to go to appraisal price? Maybe get them to come down 3k more (start at value and negotiate back up 2k) That makes it 2k over.

This is really your decision if you feel that the property is worth more to you than what it was appraised at.

Something to think about is unrecoverable costs, Pest inspection, appraiser, home inspection and lost earnest money. How much is your current loses? If you lose 7k walking away then a 5k lose is acceptable. This does not mean you should not continue to negotiate the sells price. Seller has time and money on the line aswell, next buyer may offer 10k under appraisal..

Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 4 of 19
REALISTICLYSPEAKING2014
New Contributor

Well, I dont want to lose anything - as I stated I am pulling a hardship from my 401k so losing everything would devistate me.

I currently have 5000 earnst and 1000 for appraisal and inspection. If the seller wont agree to come down, I would get my ernst money back since I am unable to get financing (contract contigent on financing and appraisal) for the full asking price of 150,000. I was informed that my closing costs would be about 4,000 ( I asked when I got approved) but now the GFE looks to be about 7,000 out of pocket which is higher than originally stated and I wasnt expecting that to be so high.

In a perfect world, the outcome will be that the seller reduces price to 145,000 (he said the lowest they can accept is 150,000) and I can proceed and move towards closing at the appraised amount.

Fingers crossed! I am trying not to stress and I wont walk away unless the sellers appraisal comes in far above the original appraisal. It could also come in lower??

Loans:

Message 5 of 19
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Yes, it could come in lower. I would be worried about the appraisal coming from the seller as it could be a friend of his/hers. Be cautious of anything significantly higher than originally appraised value.

This will end up being just what you are comfortable with paying and be prepared to pay whatever it is over appraisal.

Rock and a hard place. Do you think the seller will walk over 2-3k? They are in the same situation as you are.. If it is vacant every day they maintain the house until it is sold costs them money. So the restart of closing date is significant to them. That is of course after they find a new buyer.

As a side note, houses that fall out of contract sit longer on the market than newly listed properties. Why did the contract fail? Too many repairs? Too high asking price? Seller unreasonable? They lose the shine. Will likely take 30-60 days for another buyer in a fairly good market.

I know it doesn't sound like it but you have more leverage than you think here. Next buyer won't go above appraisal either (usually).

BTW I don't think the 401k loan/ withdrawal would be effected either way. Others could advise better I'm sure.
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 6 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Seller produced appraised value means nothing. Only a bank ordered appraisal matters.

Sounds like somebody did not do their homework when that house was listed. Since you seem to love the house so much, I would say that $5k out of your pocket to get you into that house is worth it ... but what about the lender and mortgage?

I have a buyer right now who ordered a house from us [a national builder] while he tries to sell his house. Six months after signing the purchase agreement, we are done with construction and the buyer still has not sold his house. Why? Because it is priced too high!

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you'd be willing to pay more than the house is worth?

Message 8 of 19
ecocredit
New Contributor

Get an 80/10/10 loan. It'll be a little expensive in the short term but if you really want the house go for it. Some lenders do a 85/15. You can explore both options.

Message 9 of 19
Regular Contributor

I know how you are feeling at this moment - I am closing on my house this Friday.

I am a first time home buyer so I understand all of the emotions, but you really have to TRY to take the emotion out of it.  The house I'm buying, I originally walked away from.  The seller wasn't being reasonable, so I looked at other houses.  I went back to this one after a month of looking at other places.  Believe it or not, there are other houses Smiley Happy  Do not pay more for a house than it is worth.  In the end, it is just a house.

Good luck and sending you good vibes!

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.