cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If my score is high enough, does it matter what is still negative on my CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If my score is high enough, does it matter what is still negative on my CR?

New here and have a few basic questions.

As the title asks.. I have pretty much everything covered outside of polishing off my credit score when it comes to obtaining a home mortgage. I've been with the same employer for 2 years and make a reasonable income. I've rented at the same address for the past 2 years as well. I have even managed to save enough for a down payment & closing costs.

Everything seems to be inline with the exception of my credit report, I was sitting at roughly 574 about 6 months ago, when I first started working on it and just this month I finally broke roughly 630. 

Prior to this I had a small business which went south & causing me to default on 3 credit cards and get behind on my auto loan. I managed to hold on to the auto loan despite going 60 days late & 30 a few times but in the end I paid it off about a year & half ago. The credit cards however were charge offs (3 of them). 

My score has now started to reach the area that is high enough to get a home loan, but I'm curious if the credit card charge offs will still keep me from getting a loan? Will the lenders still turn me down for these charge offs even if my score is high enough and all other bases are covered?

I'm looking at a basic FHA loan or potentially a USDA due to my location.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If my score is high enough, does it matter what is still negative on my CR?

To me, and I am no professional, but IMO credit score is what you need just to get you in the door when applying for a mortgage. Yes, it's a gauge to see where you are in credit worthiness and whether you might qualify but it doesn't end there.

Because you have three charge offs I do see how it can be a problem. I think it depends on how much, and how long ago. There is a lot of back and forth as to whether these will have to get paid, and I think they may need to but its best to go on the advice of your lender.

I guess the only way you will  no for sure is by applying. Good Luck.

Message 2 of 6
Elcid89
Contributor

FHA usually wants to see no lates newer than 12 months, i.e. they have to be at least 12 months old, and the older the better. YMMV, but you should be ok.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea my defualts happened in 2010 but with Experian it says my last negitive listing was 1.6 years ago. (I assume they could the date of the charge off)

Message 4 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Generally speaking, the more of your bad debt that you repay, the better you look to your new lending insitutuion. So for peace of mind, it would serve you best if you would pay off  your old debts.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 6
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I have a couple charge offs that are older, but everything after that is perfect. The underwriter didnt even question it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.